VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

(Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MGerteisen

(Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe? Empty
PostSubject: (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?   (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe? EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 am

So we have a little girl ball python. She's probably about half-grown...she's a big girl, but definitely not full grown! Anyways, she's refused from day one to eat anything larger than a rat pup. If it has its eyes open, she WILL NOT eat it. At her size, she SHOULD be eating either large mice or small medium rats, according to everything I've read. But she's stubborn and everytime she's offered something larger than a pup, she won't eat it.

She DOES however eat multiple pups in one sitting. So...I wanted to ask people that know...how many should I be offering her? We were originally given bad advice, that a ball python should only be offered one rat every week even if that one rat was only a pup, so inadvertedly, we were not feeding her nearly enough. However, she ate 4 pups this week, and seemed to be hunting for more, so I'm hoping that someone here might know just how many I should be feeding her.

I don't want to overfeed her, but we're still relatively new to having a ball python, so I don't want to underfeed her either.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?   (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe? EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 4:50 am

As far as Mice go, an adult mouse is the size of a rat pup.

It's hard to say how many you should be feeding, do you know the age of your ball python and her weight? I think with Ball pythons 10-15% of their body weight weekly is ideal.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?   (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 12:05 am

Deedle wrote:
I think with Ball pythons 10-15% of their body weight weekly is ideal.  
Up to 500 grams offer 10-15% of their weight every five to seven days, once they're bigger then a small rat per week is fine, and I offer a medium rat per week to the larger females.

OP, can I assume you are feeding live? Have you tried her with a weanling f/t rat and just left it with her overnight? She may be intimidated by prey that moves too much.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?   (Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe? Empty

Back to top Go down

(Feeding Ball Python) How Many is Safe?
Page 1 of 1