VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

introducing sand into a beardie habitiat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
littledane

introducing sand into a beardie habitiat Empty
PostSubject: introducing sand into a beardie habitiat   introducing sand into a beardie habitiat EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 pm

At what age can you introduce sand into a beardie habitat? Im not exactly sure of mines age but head to tail he is about 7 inches. I would like to put sand into his tank and get rid of the mat.
Thanks for any advice.
Back to top Go down
scalyfoot
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: introducing sand into a beardie habitiat   introducing sand into a beardie habitiat EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:15 pm

Got my beardies when they were babies, and they've always been on sand. I've had no problems. I'm aware that some people get anxious about ingestion of sand causing impaction, but, again, I've had no problems.
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: introducing sand into a beardie habitiat   introducing sand into a beardie habitiat EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 am

scalyfoot wrote:
Got my beardies when they were babies, and they've always been on sand.  I've had no problems.  I'm aware that some people get anxious about ingestion of sand causing impaction, but, again, I've had no problems.

Ive seen several cases of impaction caused by sand, several weve taken in and rehabilitated. Calic-Sand and crushed walnut are horrible and two of the most common we see issues from. I wouldnt usually recommend loose substrate, especially for babies but sand for older/larger dragons is not as bad as you may read.

That being said if you use sand, use a clean fine playsand. I would recommend trying to avoiding feeding insects on it as they tend to ingest sand when eating. 16" and 1 year old would be my recommendation for using sand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: introducing sand into a beardie habitiat   introducing sand into a beardie habitiat Empty

Back to top Go down

introducing sand into a beardie habitiat
Page 1 of 1