VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eastern Fence Lizards

Go down 
+4
Cdavis503
TheRealYoda34
Focal
scalyfoot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
scalyfoot
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Eastern Fence Lizards Empty
PostSubject: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Back when I was a kid, when we weren't spying on the local mammoth herd or trying not to be on the dinner menu for the saber-toothed tigers, we used to catch 'fence lizards'. Best I can remember these little suckers were about 6 or 8 inches long, and the males had dark blue on either side of their belly. Caught and kept a ton of these--fed them rollie-pollies, beetles, etc.
Anyone keep these now? Is it even legal to catch and keep these, since they are an endemic species?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:53 pm

I never saw them when I was younger, in fact, this year (maybe last year) was the first time I had ever seen one. Blue Tailed Skinks were the popular lizard to catch until you got bit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 am

When I was in san Diego I saw a ton of these guys... They were very fast and pretty sneaky to be honest lol... Granted I was at work when I saw them the most so I didn't have a lot of time try and catch them.. but they were pretty awesome looking...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Cdavis503
Cdavis503

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:32 am

Growing up i had never saw any of them at all. Just like Focal said, Blue Tail Skinks were everywhere but about 4 or 5 years ago i saw my first Eastern Fence while at work. I think it is legal to keep them
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Eastern Fence Lizards %3Ca%20href=Eastern Fence Lizards Fencelizard_zpsfe19ce69" />
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:20 pm

ive hatched these out before just for fun. Heres one I saw in early fall hanging out near my
Carolina Reaper pepper plants.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 pm

And skinks can be territorial and aggressive. u don't usually see them living to close together with fences
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Eastern fence lizards populations have declined in VA mainly due to feral (outside) cats, pesticides and habitat destruction/alteration. You can keep up to 5 individual eastern fence lizards in VA. Unfortunately, like our native skinks, fence lizards don't typically do well in captivity for the long term. In the wild these lizards consume a wide variety of invertebrates which is very difficult to duplicate in captivity.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 10:07 am

I see them every year fairly frequently at my house in the woodpile, on the house foundation, and on our fence posts but then we have no feral cats nor much in the way of pesticides killing their food supply.  I use a few smaller ones in October and September to scent mouse pinks for kingsnake hatchlings.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Back when I was a kid, I spent some time in germany we would go out and catch some kind of small lizards in the farmers fields all the time. We would keep them in food pans gotten from the army. and collect bugs for feed. We were bad keepers no heat, no UVB (not even around in the stone age) nothing, but we kept them and they were always laying eggs. But it was fun. This thread reminded me of those old days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Fence Lizards   Eastern Fence Lizards Empty

Back to top Go down

Eastern Fence Lizards
Page 1 of 1