VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Housing different sized crested geckos together?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
melliebelly

Housing different sized crested geckos together? Empty
PostSubject: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 am

Hi, I just got 2 crested geckos. I was planning on just getting 1 but could not choose. The only problem is, they are different sizes and I'm worried there could be problems. I have pictures but it's saying the file is too large. I would say that one is about twice the size of the other. They're in a 20G tank right now and seem to be minding their own business. Any tips are welcome.
Back to top Go down
melliebelly

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 am

Housing different sized crested geckos together? Creste20

Last edited by melliebelly on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
melliebelly

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 am

Housing different sized crested geckos together? Creste17
Back to top Go down
melliebelly

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 am

Housing different sized crested geckos together? Creste18
Back to top Go down
melliebelly

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 am

Housing different sized crested geckos together? Creste19
Back to top Go down
megkel
Established Member
Established Member
megkel

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 am

What are the genders? If the female is the larger of a male/female pair it should be okay. If they are both female they should both be okay.

If they are both male they might start competing for space, food and "mates" (even if there isn't any they will always be looking).

If the female is the smaller of the two she won't be ready to breed and if he is sexually mature he might try to breed her. If she takes it could be life threatening if she cannot pass the eggs.

I would offer food on a few different platforms throughout the enclosure as well as tons of hiding places. The taller the better for cresties, so if you can swing for a bigger enclosure that would be good. I would keep a close eye on them both to make sure they are eating. It can be hard since they spend a lot of time hiding around the enclosure. Good luck they are cute!
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Very cute cresties! Like Meg said, it would depend a lot on their sexes. I'd recommend that if one of them turns out to be male, go ahead and separate them. That being said, even if both are female the bigger one may try to bully the smaller one. Definitely keep an eye on them (and an ear) to monitor their behaviors. I have two female cresties housed together in a tub and, being about the same size, they get along fine, even eating side-by-side at the food dish.
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 6:53 pm

I would seperate them if possible. You can get a tub and cut a hole and put screen in..its cheaper, although it doesn't look as pretty as an exo terra. They'll ptobably be fine for a few days or so until you can get someyhing. Chances are one of them will eventually get bullied out of food. The only time I keep them tofether is as a adults and only certain females. Like I said, I'm sure they're not going to dienor anything if ypu keep them together, but it saves the hassel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Housing different sized crested geckos together?   Housing different sized crested geckos together? Empty

Back to top Go down

Housing different sized crested geckos together?
Page 1 of 1