VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible respiratory infection

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nateandfamily2013
Established Member
Established Member

Possible respiratory infection Empty
PostSubject: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 pm

my ball may have a RI any home remedies what should i do? HELP!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:33 pm

What symptoms is your Ball showing of an RI?

What is your husbandry like (setup, temps, humidity).

First thing to do is not freak out.
Back to top Go down
nateandfamily2013
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 pm

he is rubbing his face against the glass and his hide and there is some clear liquid i assume mucous. The temp in the hotspot has been 92-95 and the humidity around 55-60 he is in a 55 gallon. He also keeps opening his mouth and an occasional bubble here and there!But he is not really laboring to breathe
Back to top Go down
nateandfamily2013
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

I raised the temp in his cage to 101 in the hotspot and have not misted him at all. This is what someone suggested
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Second thing to do is find a vet. If you have to ask what to do on a forum you are probably not ready to be doing your own medical treatments.
Back to top Go down
nateandfamily2013
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 pm

i am totally willing and able i am in the medical field just dont know where to get medication? I looked at this natural antibiotic alternative called reptaid. Any thoughts? I have no problem nor fear of giving him oral meds
Back to top Go down
nateandfamily2013
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm

This just started yesterday and i really dont want anything to happen to him! The vets around here are rediculous!
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I think this is the video of a home cure from Snakebyte TV.

https://youtu.be/pJCnPfuqaBM

But, if you have not caught it early, you really need an experienced reptile vet.

Last edited by Don on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 pm

If it is rubbing and leaving snail trails and open mouth breathing with bubbles you are probably well past home treatments. In order to treat a RI you first have to know what you are dealing with. The vet will have to do a lung wash and culture in order to see which antibiotic it is susceptible to before you know which antibiotic to treat with. If your vet doesn't do a lung was and culture he is just guessing when he prescribes antibiotics. Usually runs between 250-300 bucks for vet visit, lung wash and culture, and meds.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Don wrote:
I think this is the video of a home cure from Snakebyte TV.

https://youtu.be/pJCnPfuqaBM
There are some people now that are saying that F10 may cause resistance to antibiotics. I had good luck with F10 the first time I tried it. The second time I tried it I had no success so them went the vet route. After the F10 the regular antibiotics did nothing and I ended up losing the snake. I can't say with my limited experience that the F10 was the cause but it was enough for me. I threw the F10 away after that and gave away my fogger.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am

www.SEAVS.com - herp vet in Fairfax.

Low side around 82-83*F, hot side mid-90's, bump up the humidity since it keeps the mucus moist and easier for the snake to expel, screw the F10.  If you're going to nebulize anything sterile saline solution like you'd use for contact lenses works as well as anything and is safer than chemical treatments.  Hopefully you've also isolated the sick one from the rest of your collection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 7:08 pm

How's the little guy doing?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible respiratory infection   Possible respiratory infection Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible respiratory infection
Page 1 of 1