VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Morphs?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 12:55 pm

What do all these morphs mean? What makes a certain morph a certain morph? Can some reproduce while others cant? I am thoroughly confused. I've looked at websites with pics of different morphs but what guidelines are there (if any)?
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:08 pm

I am probably not the best person to answer this but I am going to give it a shot LOL.

Morphs are the crossing of different variations(?) of the snake. You can take a Spider Ball Python and Breed to a Pastel ball python and produce the morph "Bumble Bee".

Some snakes are recessive, some are dominant, some are co-dominant.. I am still learning alot of this part and HEAVILY rely on the genetic wizard on ball python world...

It is like when a caucasian has a baby with an african american and the child is "mixed"... or some people are "albino" people... I guess it is really hard to explain from someone like myself so maybe Don might be a good person to answer that with a better description.??
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:18 pm

The three most popular are recessive, dominant and codominant.

Recessive is going to consist of mostly non-visual heterozygous morphs and visual homozygous forms. For example, when you see a 100% het for albino ball python, this is going to be a recessive morph in it's non-visual form, meaning it looks normal but it holds the key to producing albino's. When in it's homozygous form, it's visual for albino, meaning both parents gave one part of their albinism gene.

A dominant gene is visual in it's heterozygous form, i.e. spiders, pinstripes ... and most dominant mutations are the same when in the homozygous (if both parents were spiders for example).

Codominants are dominant genes that are further physically exaggerated in their homozygous form, i.e. pastel to super pastel, or mojave to super mojave, or yellbelly to ivory. When a codominant gene is bred to a normal, it results in 100% visual heterzygous babies.

Ahhh, time crunch. I'll try to explain more later but it's easier to understand how the genes work before thoroughly understanding the morphs. There are some good links out there than can explain this better than me and I probably didn't quite capture what I was thinking. I'll find them when I get back from work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I really appreciate the info! However, I may have worded the question wrong. What I was actually looking for was what markings make a specific morph. I've found websites that list pics of certain morphs but can't really determine the specific markings per each morph.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Morphs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Morphs?   Morphs? EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew