VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VA locality reptile wanted.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

VA locality reptile wanted.  Empty
PostSubject: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 12:42 pm

One of the things I enjoy doing is local reptile displays. I am always interested in acquiring new VA locality reptiles. If anyone comes upon known VA locality reptile that cannot be released for some reason, please check with me for placement. Couple things that i am actively seeking is:

Black Kingsnake.
Northern Pine Snake
Corn snake
Huge adult male black rat snake
Mole Kingsnake.
Huge adult male common snapping turtle
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

just curious but do you work with eastern milks or coastal plains milks?
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm

By all means, I am interested in all VA locality reptiles. Primarily, Southwest VA, but would like to have display examples of all VA snakes.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 am

Sorry was hoping you might have some of those. I have one of each but haven't been able to complete the pair of either yet. I see a lot of mole and chain kings, and eastern hogs
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I am very interested in a pair of VA locality mole kings. What color are the hogs you find?
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: here is one of the orange ones from last year big male   VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 pm

[url=VA locality reptile wanted.  048
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

saw yellow and black adult male once too. Had a lil green in it too
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm

I usually see a dozen mole kings every year. usually the olive green ones
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

i have a nice hog that we got last fall from a farm in northern Scott County, VA. it is a sub adult and i think its female. i will try to get some good pics. i am hoping to get her a mate this spring. that is a great looking hog you have there. are you breeding it? if you come up with a pair of moles you dont want to keep, they have a home here. haha
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm

hey you don't mind driving I can find em
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm

We will figure that part out. there are member of our local herp club that live up north and go to college here. we can hitch a ride. =)

Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm

depending on temps they should be out in march, maybe earlier if we have a repeat of last years weather
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Do you know anyone who finds, or is breeding VA locality pines?
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Nah cant help ya there.
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Ya, they are An elusive creature to find. =) If you come up on anyone with any true VA pines, I would love to get into a couple.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am

someone on here might know but I haven't heard anything
Back to top Go down
stretchx-brad
stretchx-brad

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 am

Found a dor black pinesnake(lodingi)on a rural road in Isle of Wight county VA last year. I have it preserved and also pics. Writing that off as an escapee but not a common pet for sure!
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 pm

What a shame you didn’t find it still alive. =)
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

ChuckHurd wrote:
Do you know anyone who finds, or is breeding VA locality pines?

Northern pines are rare in VA. The DGIF recently finished a five year study, collecting observational data. Not a single creditable sighting was reported. The last record sighting/capture was on July 9, 1989.
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

I was afraid that would be the case. The northern is next to impossible to find throughout its range, or so it seems. I have found one in my life. Northern AL, on Sand Mtn…I think it was 2005. I still have him, but he is getting old….not going to be with me much longer. Since I am in VA now, I would truly love to have VA bloodlines, but its probably not going to work out.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Believe it or not one of the potential items on the table for the DGIF for 2014 is to consider a reintroduction of northern pines into VA. Several years ago there was talk about reintroducing northern pines into Maryland, but it was quickly shot down.

If VA can reintroduce elk for hunters, they should be able to reintroduce pines for herpers.
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm

If that passes, I would love to be a part of the program. I fear that my old AL boy might be past his breeding years, but I can lay hands on some northerns at any time. I know that anywhere they are introduced, there will be a sharp decline in the local rodent and squirrel populations. These things metabolize at the same rate, if not faster, then a cobra. They are always eating. Back in 2003, I had a 7 foot northern pine and a 6’8” black rat. I would feed them both a 300 gram rat. Both would have a nice visible lump. By the next day, no lump in the pine, while a visible lump remained in the rat for about 3 days. They are a remorseless eating machine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VA locality reptile wanted.    VA locality reptile wanted.  Empty

Back to top Go down

VA locality reptile wanted.
Page 1 of 1