VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bedding

Go down 
+3
Kittiekat149
Focal
rocialhabit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I was in Petco earlier today and noticed that there are a lot of different types of bedding out there. I have always used either Aspen or paper towels for my snakes but I was wondering if there is any stock to using any of the other substrates. Such as Reptibark, eco earth, or carpet.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I only use shredded aspen, paper towels and newspaper. Everything else is either a pain in the rear or too expensive for a higher volume of snakes. I have never used cypress mulch but it looks dirty and I've seen it discolor snakes (not permanently of course :p). It does retain the humidity the best from what I understand, however, darker substrates also make it harder to see waste in certain setups like mine. I also do not breed on anything besides newspaper or paper towels because I fear substrate being pulled into a hemipene.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Reptibark holds humidity well but it will also mold fast. It is also a pain to clean up after. Eco earth is wonderful for burrowers. My pacman and pixie frog love it but it to is a pain to clean up after and as soon as either one hits their water dish it has to be cleaned out. The carpet is nice looking but having to wash and dry it is annoying plus most of my herps like going underneath it. It is just a waste of time cleaning when you could just use newspaper or paper towels instead.
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:43 pm

I use newspaper. It's cheap and easy to clean. I used to use the carpets, but they hold a lot of smell and bacteria, even when you clean them. Plus, they shrink!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:45 pm

my snakes all live on newspaper.
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm

i use aspin i used cypress mulch but too messy tried newspaper but it it gets wet it dyes the snake from the ink ive had two get irratations from it aspen isnt the cheapest if you have alot of ballpythons but easy to clean and works for me
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 pm

I use cypress mulch for my skink, beardie, and hermit crabs, it holds humidity and keeps the smell down. I use Jungle mix for my python and ground english walnut shell for my monitor and uromastyx. I don't have a lot of animals so I don't mind the clean up from any of the substrates. When starting them as babies I used viva paper towels, they are thick and very absorbent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bedding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bedding   Bedding Empty

Back to top Go down

Bedding
Page 1 of 1