VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from richmond!

Go down 
+7
smb2585
Stray
zues
Don
smd58
Bobbykaizer
hiking325
11 posters
AuthorMessage
hiking325

Hello from richmond! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello my name is glen. I am into hiking, mountain biking, camping, and off roading. I drive an 08 blacked out 4 door jeep wrangler with to many mods lol. I was into salt water reef tanks for around 5 years at one point so this is somewhat new to me. Ive been doing all kinds of research for a little over a year and Im ready to jump in. So hello and if you are into off roading let me know because a group of us jeepers usually go almost every month. Also I have a custom 5 gallon rimless saltwater setup with everything (live rock, sand, 20k led ligth, power head, pump with under gravel plumbing, internal overflow, etc) on craigslist so if you have any new babys please let me know and maybe we can trade.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:02 pm

thats cool, i am also into aquariums (freshwater african cichlids) , but salt tanks look amazing! off roading definitely sounds fun, wish i could go! dont have a a jeep lol. oh well, glad to have you Glen!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Welcome, research is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 am

Welcome~
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:16 am

Do you have pictures of the tank? How hard is it to maintain a setup like this. I have no freshwater or saltwater aquarium experience. What type of snake are you looking for?
Back to top Go down
hiking325

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 am

zues wrote:
Do you have pictures of the tank? How hard is it to maintain a setup like this. I have no freshwater or saltwater aquarium experience. What type of snake are you looking for?

If you want we can talk over the phone or something if you are interested in getting started. to keep it short and sweet a smaller tank is harder to maintain than a larger tank because the chemical and salinity balance can get out of wack easier. If you don't keep fish in it and just do coral it can be fairly easy. If you do something like a goby and a pistol shrimp it wouldn't be to bad. A tank of this size depending in your homes humidity levels might need topping off every day or every other day. A small water change around every other week. When I was in the hobby VA had a great community who welcomed new comers. Most of the guys and gals were on a site called Richmond reefers and had monthly meets where you could buy, sell, and trade coral, fish, and equipment. People would bring a dish and beverages and just hang out. A lot of times people would just give you some starter corals as long as you didn't abuse the system. All in all it can be a simple setup or a difficult one. It just depends on how complicated you want to get. You will also need a source of very clean water (water filtered with a reverse osmosis filter and dionizing filter), but that can also be a controversially topic. I know some guys just ran well water and had great looking tanks. Most saltwater stores sell filtered water for about $0.50 a gallon and pre made saltwater for $1. I was able to get one of these filters off Ebay for around I think $80, but at that time I had 4 tanks running so I always needed water. If you want more detailed information pm me your phone number and I can go into more details( I will be up for awhile). I would like to get a basic morph baby ball python but would entertain other baby snakes. It can be a very fun and rewarding hobby just to see your tank grow.
Back to top Go down
hiking325

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 am

I hope I didn't scare you but it really just depends on you and what you want your tank to be. Feel free to send me a pm if you wasn't to just talk that way also. Even if your not interested in my setup I can at least give you some helpful information on getting a tank setup.
Back to top Go down
hiking325

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 am

Also depending on the snake I have a 55 gallon tank with almost complete diy stand and some accessories for fresh water and a 24 gallon nano cube with pump and no hood(has scratches, I used it as a display tank but someone could use it as an isolation tank or propagation tank for coral frags also). I can add these to sweeten the deal.

Last edited by hiking325 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hiking325

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:38 am

Here are some pictures of the tank while it was cycling. These pictures where taking with a camera phone so the blue in the picture isnt as pronounced in person but it is a 20k light so there is a noticeable amount of blue. This helps bring out colors in coral and fish.

Hello from richmond! IMG_20120307_235424

Hello from richmond! IMG_20120307_235405

Hello from richmond! IMG_20120307_235401
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:05 am

Wow! That's so cool! I've always really loved the elegant salt-water tanks I've seen, but I've always heard upkeep was pretty expensive and that the ecosystems can be very fragile....

Anyhoo, welcome and beautiful tank setup!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 am

very neat! welcome to the site!!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Smile
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome! I use to have a Tacoma w/ TRD Supercharger and a bunch of other mods on 35's. I use to off road a lot and have been thinking of getting a big diesel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Welcome.... to vaherps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from richmond!   Hello from richmond! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from richmond!
Page 1 of 1