VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is my snake Okay?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member
TheSnakeSpectrum

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 pm

So My corn snake just recently shed a few days ago, and I caught him in the act, so I was watching. As the shed got to the vent, it looked painful as it went over that area, and two small little drops of blood were left on the shed.
Afterwards, I examined his(or her, I'm trying to find someone who can probe him for me) vent, and noticed it looked a little different. I noticed that where his usually Y imprint was (on the vent) it looked more caved in. Also, usually there's a clearish, thin skin that goes over a few milimeters over the edge of the vent(to protect the vent, I believe) and only half of it it visible.
I'm a little worried about him. One, just because I love him and I don't want him experiencing any pain. And two, I was hoping to breed him next year, and I know it's dangerous when they have injuries(if this is an injury)
Here are some pictures:
This is actually an old shed, of about two or three sheds ago, that when i just look at now, I notice the blood spots.
Photobucket
Here is the updated Shed;
Photobucket
Here are some of his vent. Sorry about the quality, he was so squirmy!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
A herp vet really isnt possible right now, since I could never afford one, so if there are any explanations/tips that would be fantastic.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Based on my experience, the blood is unusual, but I don't see an issue. At this point I would just chalk it up as "one of those things" and just keep a close eye on the vent area. Swelling, redness, or discharge (other than poop) are things that would indicate a medical issue.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:39 pm

We caught one of our kids in shed and noticed the same thing. We found probably twenty posts online that describe this. As far as we can tell its normal.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:07 pm

both of the above statements sound like good news, hope everything goes fine with him and its not an issue. keep us updated on your snkae please:)
Back to top Go down
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member
TheSnakeSpectrum

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 pm

jw- Thanks for the tips! I'll keep a close eye on him for now on.

BlackboxStar- That's a huge relief, and hopefully it really is normal. Thankyou for the info!

Bobbykaizer- Thankyou! I do to. I'll definately update!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is my snake Okay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my snake Okay?   Is my snake Okay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my snake Okay?
Page 1 of 1