VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dubia: When should I add new blood?

Go down 
+2
Don
Focal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Dubia: When should I add new blood? Empty
PostSubject: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am

I have a Dubia colony that is probably nearing a year old and about 1000 roaches, maybe a little less. They all appear healthy, but when should I add new blood? Should I burn off all these roaches and start with a new colony or should I just supplement, and if so, how many? Just males, females, or mix of gender and sizes? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 am

I've got a colony that is five years old and have yet to add new blood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks Don! I always hear the expression "New Blood" and it has had me wondering.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 am

We have had ours for almost 4 years and have never added new. >.>
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 am

Mine has been up for about a year. Everything has been running smoothly so I wouldn't want to change anything around, but if you want to add some new ones into your mix, I'm happy to give you some from my colony to see if it makes any difference. I'm in Virginia Beach, so not too far from you.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the offer Debbie! I did end up mixing some new blood in not to long ago just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am

I think that with the rapid generation turn over, dubias can evolve new traits pretty quickly so adding new blood is a good idea if you want to keep basic stock. Kind of on the opposite track, I'm thinking of starting a new colony for only the biggest adults and works towards creating a large size strain over the next few years. I'd like do the same with the fastest too maturity growers but that would be a lot more work. They would make a great combination though.

Nick, if you ever want new blood again, just let me know and your welcome to as much as you want. I started the new colonies from about 6 different sources.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

some one share the dubia gold...
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks Brian! That's funny that you mentioned size because I have recently noticed a difference in that a majority of my new breeder females are smaller than the first ones I acquired. I thought they would play catch up but after a few months, still smaller. I may isolate the large ones like you said and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dubia: When should I add new blood?   Dubia: When should I add new blood? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dubia: When should I add new blood?
Page 1 of 1