VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Attack of the Crickets!

Go down 
+5
Kittiekat149
Don
Jabberwocky Dragons
smd58
ajb28221
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ajb28221
Established Member
Established Member
ajb28221

Attack of the Crickets! Empty
PostSubject: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 am

I just wanted to share with everyone a topic that was brought up recently on the gecko forum I frequent about a species of cricket (Gryllus assimilis) that has been switched over by a lot suppliers because of a virus that destroyed a large population of the commonly sold species (Acheta domesticus). This newly sold species has had numerous reports of being aggressive to the animals and even humans, in the link below they even stressed the authors gecko to death. Beware of the species you buy and make sure you get the right ones, my usual supplier just switched over and now I must find a new reputable supplier. Here is the link for you all to read: Attack of the Feeder Crickets
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 am

That's the first time I've seen that and it's been out almost a year.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 am

I use Gryllus and are extremely happy with them. In fact, my supplier sells both and I always request the Gryllus. I have never seen any type of aggression, even with tiny newly hatched bearded dragons and neither has my supplier (whom I asked before switching due to the rumors). I go through 10,000 a week and am sure I would have seen something by now with those numbers. They are also more nutritious than Acheta.

I believe these rumors come from cricket farms in CA that have been selling a third species (AKA crazy reds) as Gryllus which are highly aggressive but they are mislabeling.

Edit: Those are definitely not Gryllus crickets in the above link. Gryllus have almost solid black heads and lack the distinctive white stripes on the head. The aggressive crickets look just like the "crazy reds". Here's a link explaining the difference with pictures:

http://www.ghann.com/gryllus_info.cfm
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Alright, so I am beginning to find some negatives with the Gryllus and thought I'd update this...

I still have never seen any aggression issues, even with newborn hatchling dragons. However, it seems Gryllus are highly cannibalistic and can rapidly kill off your supply. This has not been a fun or inexpensive learning experience (...now I know there were more crickets in this tub last night scratch ). So now I am changing my stance in support of the Acheta.

I wish I had caught it on video but I did witness a single Gryllus attack and strip clean a similar sized Acheta in about 20 seconds. I had no idea crickets could be active predators.

There does appear to be a new cricket species, Gryllodes sigillatus, coming soon that I will be testing out in a few months... stand by for another update then.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Maybe you could train the Gryllus by using a squirt bottle. You know, like a cat. It attacks and you squirt them. Then you would have .................... Gryllus in the Mist.

ker plunk!

Anyway, this is why I feed Dubia Roaches. I've become allergic to them an my wife seems to be starting to develop an allergy, but they are much better feeders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

I've always had a problem with cannibalistic crickets in all cricket species. So to me it is nothing new and the Gryllus are since they are less aggressive towards my dragons and Tranchulas I would much rather keep getting those. But I have also started feeding everything more worms and hissers.
Also, what is it with Dubai Roaches that everyone becomes allergic to? I have major allergy problems and have yet to develop an allergy to them... yet...
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Don wrote:
Maybe you could train the Gryllus by using a squirt bottle. You know, like a cat. It attacks and you squirt them. Then you would have .................... Gryllus in the Mist.

ker plunk!

Anyway, this is why I feed Dubia Roaches. I've become allergic to them an my wife seems to be starting to develop an allergy, but they are much better feeders.

That's an idea but I shudder to think of my water bill after squirting each of them Laughing

So your wife is starting to develop an allergy too? I wonder if we're just the only 3 people or if this is going to be a trend as more people keep them in larger numbers.

Kittiekat149 wrote:
I've always had a problem with cannibalistic crickets in all cricket species. So to me it is nothing new and the Gryllus are since they are less aggressive towards my dragons and Tranchulas I would much rather keep getting those. But I have also started feeding everything more worms and hissers.
Also, what is it with Dubai Roaches that everyone becomes allergic to? I have major allergy problems and have yet to develop an allergy to them... yet...

I don't mind losing a few to cannibalism but I'm talking 30-40%+ loss which hurts with a several thousand cricket order. Hopefully you won't join the allergy club!

I'm also going to have to go off topic real quick and kindly request that you post a pic of your apricot albino pacman in the showroom!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I have not developed an allergy to Dubia yet.

Brian, is there a way to tell the difference between the species?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Acheta are the standard grey or brownish cricket that virtually every pet store sells. Gryllus are larger and are nearly black, especially the head. They also grow much larger with a prewing being the same size as an adult Acheta. You can only get them from specialty places like Ghanns.

Less reputable cricket dealers are selling a third species (aka Crazy Reds) as Gryllus even though they are not. These have distinctive white head stripes and are extremely aggressive and dangerous to animals not able to defend themselves. I believe they are responsible for the damage caused in the link included in the first post.

There is now a 4th species being introduced called Gryllodes sigillatus aka the Banded Cricket. I will try this one out in a few months as soon as they become available. I don't know much else about it yet.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:44 pm

That's crazy Brian. I've never seen them kill off that many others. Are they all one size or do you have mixed sizes?

Also I will take some good pictures of the Apricot in another day or two when I feed her. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I keep mixed sizes but they're kept in separate tubs. It's been a while since I've had Gryllus above 1/2'' (only Acheta run in those sizes currently from my supplier) and I don't remember them being that bad. The 1/4'' and 3/8'' Gryllus seem to disappear at about that rate though (no remains left even).

Thanks! I've been kicking around the idea of getting a pacman and I think the albino apricots are my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 pm

And my mother didn't believe me when I said that crickets can bite... Facepalm
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

iagree My wife would agree with you. She has been bitten a couple of times. She hates crickets.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 pm

man, i cant believe im just now hearing this. sounds strange. killer crickets!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the Crickets!   Attack of the Crickets! Empty

Back to top Go down

Attack of the Crickets!
Page 1 of 1