VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bearded Dragons

Go down 
+2
Focal
Tertius
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tertius
Tertius

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I got two baby bearded dragons about a week ago from some breeders up in Richmond. It was the best deal I had seen, so I went for it. They gave me some ways of how to make certain things cheaper. They also taught me how to care for them. I am not experienced with reptiles in anyway, but have now become very interested. Right now, they're very wild and like to run around a lot. I know it will not happen the first week, but when do you suppose they start to bond with their owner? Also, does anyone have any tips or tricks for how they bond with you? I do get them out each day.

Here is another question, I was reading a book on lizards (pet lizards mainly), and the book said that lizards often don't like being held or pet. Is this true of beardies?

I just thought I would ask you guys seeing as I am only a beginner and you all seem to have much more experience than I do.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:57 pm

I know very little about Beardies, but everyone that I know that owns them, has them trained so they will hangout. Most of the time they are hanging out on their shoulder or chest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Tertius
Tertius

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Would you mind, next time you see your friends, asking them what they did to "tame" their bearded dragons?
Back to top Go down
Don

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I"ve got two of them. There really isn't much to do to "tame" them. Young ones are jumpy because they think everything and everybody is going to eat them. They calm down nicely with age. Just keep handling them and letting them know that you are not a predator.

I hand feed mine when they are young to help get them used to people. My female now comes running up the the cage door whether I have food or not. She will hang on my shirt for hours at a time if I let her. They mellow down with age. Good luck, if you have any specific questions I'm happy to help. If I don't know the answers, I know a very reputable breeder that I can get some help from if needed .

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Tertius
Tertius

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks Don, and I will be sure to ask if any other questions arise.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Tertius,

We've been keeping and breeding bearded dragons for over 15 years and would be happy to answer any questions you have although Don answered this one perfectly. Hand feeding is one of the best ways to create a bond between yourself and your beardies. We have many adults and make sure to hand feed each one. Over time, this also brings out their different personalities which are there but a less developed than comparable mammals.

Bearded Dragons don't really like to be held (unless maybe the warmth) but they don't dislike it either. It's really just a way for their owners to interact with them. Some are calmer than others and will take more readily to it. You didn't mention how old they are but like Don said above, younger ones are much more skittish and require time and age to calm.

The best book and resource you can get is the The Bearded Dragon Manual. It's on Amazon for about $10. Everyone's care sheets are a little different and many contain just purely inaccurate (and sometimes even dangerous) information so it's important to have a reputable standard source like the above book for help.

Regards,

Brian
www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:35 am

Bearded are neat and have alot of personality to them as well
Back to top Go down
Tertius
Tertius

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks guys, you all have been really, really helpful. Like I said I'm an beginner and know almost nothing about any sort of reptile or amphibian, so I will definitely contact you guys if I have any more questions. Once again thank you very much.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
fuzz
Established Member+
Established Member+

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I have 6 of them now bearded dragons they make great pets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bearded Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bearded Dragons   Bearded Dragons Empty

Back to top Go down

Bearded Dragons
Page 1 of 1