VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New snake! (with pictures!)

Go down 
+3
ClarkeReptiles
Don
answerinbelle
7 posters
AuthorMessage
answerinbelle

New snake! (with pictures!) Empty
PostSubject: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 6:25 pm

After quite the trial, I got my snake today! He (I think it is a boy) is a Baird's Rat Snake. He is young, maybe a foot and a half long, and apparently has had an adventurous life. He escaped at the pet store right after they got him, and stayed gone for several months. They finally found him, he had doubled in size and apparently had been eating well. He is quite calm, and seemed to enjoy me handling him at the store.

I swore I wasn't going to buy a pet store snake, but he called to me and was on sale because they had had him so long. Poor guy. I think his name is Killian, but that is not decided. He is quite enjoying his 40 gallon (he was in a little critter carrier at the store) and is exploring everywhere.

He has opened his mouth a few times, but I think it is to see if what he is seeing is edible, since he seemed fine at the store and is otherwise normal. I'll keep an eye out and keep his humidity low (it was a little humid for him at the store). He certainly isn't lethargic like you would expect if he were coming down with a URI. I think I'm just being an overprotective snake mama. After he settles in he will get a feeding, he was supposed to eat tomorrow at the store

New snake! (with pictures!) 2012-010

Last edited by answerinbelle on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Really cool snake! Keep us updated on his progress.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I love his eyes! And I like the possible name! Congrats on getting him!
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Congrats on the new snake.
Back to top Go down
answerinbelle

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks everybody! I'm excited to learn all about his personality. The info on Baird's is sketchy/conflicting (some say low low humidity, the book says between 55% and 60% with no variance, others say just like for corns, for instance) in the internet, so it shall be an interesting learning experience. Does anyone here have one?
Back to top Go down
answerinbelle

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 am

I woke up this morning to find Mr. Killian asleep. Well, first I woke up and panicked he had gotten out, until I found him. He has a wonderful 40 gallon with lots of wood and caves and burrowing carefresh, and where does he sleep?

New snake! (with pictures!) 2012-011

There. He sleeps there (the perspective is weird, but thats on the tank ledge under the lid). Not warm, not humid. Kinda dark, I guess. His head is under the duct tape (the lid had some mesh ends loose, I didn't want him to get hung up on them. Glad I did that now!).
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 am

Sneaky little bugger. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

Nice looking ratsnake!
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Welcome to the world of colubrids. The cage lid is always a better resting place. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New snake! (with pictures!)   New snake! (with pictures!) Empty

Back to top Go down

New snake! (with pictures!)
Page 1 of 1