VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Internet Options - Help?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Internet Options - Help? Empty
PostSubject: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 am

Ok, long story short, Cox pissed me off after 11 faithful years as a customer. I cancelled service with them.

I went with Verizon and they told me they could have a Tech out to my house about a week and half from the day I called. They said he would arrive between the hours of 8-5pm but would call the night before to narrow the time frame. I received no call the night before. The next day, being the diligent door watcher I am, sat there for NINE HOURS for a Tech that never showed. 5:05pm, service was discontinued through Verizon.

So my question is, who else is left? Am I stuck choosing the lesser of two evils? Is there any hope for the future or anyone having sucess elsewhere? I think I already know the answer but more-so wanted to gripe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

I can relate. I HATE Cox with a passion and recently dropped them too for Cable but decided to stick with them for Internet until FIOS is (if ever) available in Norfolk. Was it FIOS you were getting?

Due to the government sanctioned monopoly, I don't think there are or will ever be any other reasonable choices. I have heard of satellite internet and while the download speed is good, I think the upload is by phone line and quite slow. This may have changed since I inquired but I think is more geared for people living out in the boonies without any other options.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 am

No, just DSL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:43 am

I too hate Cox Cable. I was ECSTATIC to call and set up a cut off date of 2/28/12 with Cox sucker communications and switching to Verizon Fios for everything else at the new house. [granted fios has been available for a while at our current house but im too lazy but now i have no choice]

I think they are the only options available for internet though for the Southside Hampton Roads area though, not sure of the Peninsula or points northward or westward.

My quick story about Cox is this - a couple years ago my cox cable line got struck by lightning, everything connected to Cox got fried, 4 TVs, 1 desktop computer, Playstation 3, Wii, Modem & Router. (who knew cox cable line could get struck by lightning) needless to say they wouldnt help me geting my stuff fixed or repaired because they wanted proof that it was the cox line and not the power line (everything was on surge protectors through the power outlets, and everything else worked, just stuff the cable was connected to messed up) so I had to pay for cox to come run a new cable line... they tried to tell me a squirrel chewed through the cable line and what was why... funny it happened when it was lightning and storming and there was a big boom my house shook and only the stuff connected to cable went out... so I pay them late every month (they bill you in advance for your monthly services) and I literally wait until the annoying automated calls come in because they are ridiculous.

And Verizon Fios hasnt made its way past the Elizabeth River yet so it hasn't made it past my area of Chesapeake that is not separated by a body of water between cox headquarters. Reason being is that it will cost a lot to run the lines under the rivers and such and they havent come up with a solution yet... my mom lives about half a mile from me if that and she can't get it but we can...

I hate cox and will never ever ever have them again.... ever. I cant wait til they come cut that crap off.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 pm

I believe that Verizon Fios installers/techs are still having some sort of union labor contract dispute with Verizon and this has, in my experience, translated into terrible installation call reliability. Not too long ago I switch over to Verizon digital voice and the tech showed-up without calling 3 or 4 hours late. Completely unacceptable. After speaking to the tech, he said that those not on strike were pulling double shifts in a futile attempt to keep up with installations.

Other than my recent experience with an installation call, I have been a satisfied Verizon Fios user for 7-8 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet Options - Help?   Internet Options - Help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Internet Options - Help?
Page 1 of 1