VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RI Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 am

I was wondering how do you determine if a BP has a respiratory infection? Do they act a certain way or look a certain way? I am not worried any of my snakes have one but I figured that I should at least know the signs.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 am

Wheezing or clicking when they breathe is the first sign, I believe. It's mucous getting in their airway. If its more severe, you can hold them upside down and mucous might come out. Not positive, just repeating what I read. I did buy a snake once that arrived with a mild RI and she clicked. Start to finish, Pet Care in VaBeach charged me $78 for exam and treatment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 am

I agree with Nick. In addition, it has been my experience that open mouth breathing is also a symptom. Often, slight RI's can be cured by raising the enclosure's temperatures a few degrees above normal. Make sure the snake has a cooler spot so it can still thermoregulate. If there is no improvement or symptoms worsen a vet trip is in order.
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you for the replies. None of my animals are exibiting any of these symptoms but with the weather change and the attempts to get the temps and conditions right, I figured this would be prime time for an RI. I truly appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
pksnipr

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm

also look for stringy smears around the tub or enclosure. as they move they tend to leave almost a "snail trail" around the walls. i agree about pet care, dr. hulls is a great exotic. i went through a 3 month ordeal with a mojave last year and even though it didn't end up well, everyone at petcare went out of their way to do everything they could for me.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 1:03 pm

pksnipr wrote:
also look for stringy smears around the tub or enclosure. as they move they tend to leave almost a "snail trail" around the walls.

Great tip. I presume this is mucus discharge?

Last edited by jw on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 pm

What are your high/low temps?
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

My hotspot is between 90-92 and the cool end around 85. Ambient room temp is a high of about 78 and low of about 74-75 ish. I also have a humidifier going keeping the room over 60%.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Right now, I am running 88 hot spot during the day and 81 at night, with ambient/cool being 80-83 24/7. The room stays 78-82 and no open windows or draft. I don't have any problems at these temps and they are lower.

Last winter my quarantine room let the ambient/cool temp drop to about 75 and low 70's in the room. There was a mild, mild draft but no problems either. It was a rough time for extra space Very Happy but I probably wouldn't do that again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RI Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI Question   RI Question Empty

Back to top Go down

RI Question
Page 1 of 1