VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hamburg Reptile Show

Go down 
+7
Gizmo
Lokielani
leftoflarry
Mike.OutbackReptiles
smb2585
gatto152
Focal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hamburg Reptile Show Empty
PostSubject: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 pm

http://www.hamburgreptileshow.com/

Next Show Date:

February 25, 2012

Anyone thinking about going?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
gatto152

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm

hell ya im gonna be saving for this like i said we can carpool we can even rent a van or something
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Word of the wise from experience... we left home at about 2:30/3:00 in the morning, stopped for food, made it there on a tank of gas but needed gas coming home... and when we got there we immediately parked and got in line... 10 minutes after we were in line the line quadrupled (sp?) in length. It is shoulder to shoulder very little room for moving around. Be patient and shower and wear deodorant because god knows you might sweat. Take breaks and sit down so you dont feel it later when you FINALLY sit down 6 hours later. Circle a couple of times and keep checking back. Vendors may make a trade and end up selling the animal they just traded for and you might miss out like we did...

Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Ohh and as the date gets closer, the website will be updated with the vendors that will be attending. Check out what they have listed for sale on their websites or fauna or where ever you can find them. Contact them and work out deals in advance or get to know them and make relationships with them. These bigger shows are a GREAT way to meet other breeders.

Depending on what you buy, sometimes they will ask for proof of the state you live in due to states having bans on certain animals/herps/reptiles.

There will be crocodillians there Smile we love those and wish we could have one badly. Dwarf Caiman to be exact.

Make sure you have enough cash on you that you may spend... its better to have too much than not enough and have to find the ATM (there is NOT one inside the show). The parking lot is intensely packed and they end up like shuttling people that are parked REALLY far away at alternative parking lots and the closest ATM is somewhere around that little town but its tight corners and hard to maneuver depending what you are driving.

Be prepared for tolls Smile especially in PA lol. we took 95 up and then came back down the eastern shore....

We might consider going to this maybe? Its before our move but... it's a good possiblity we MIGHT go.. but not taking my car.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I was thinking about seeing if I can get some tickets for cheap and flying. I'm not sure if I can maintain sanity after driving only three hours lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Mike.OutbackReptiles
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 am

It's an awesome show- if you've only been to virginia shows, definitely think about checking it out. It's one of the largest shows in the northeast, I think only White Plains is bigger.

Lots of vendors (us included) bring a lot more of their interesting (read: expensive) stuff to this show since there are a lot more attendees. And yes, there are crocodilians and venomous animals too!

As smb said, circle around a lot since especially the bigger vendors will have made trades and will have more animals out for sale as the day progresses... I know sometimes we bring so many animals that we can't put them out on display until something else has sold.

Also- yes, please do wear deodorant... I went to help a guy hold one of our 9ft boas at the last hamburg, and he raised his arms up to pick it up and I almost died from the vapors wafting up from his armpits.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/the.surreal.deal
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 11:48 am

It only cost a tank of gas up and a tank of gas home. If you ride alone or with a good friend it might not be too bad... long car trips for us are not enjoyable lol. We usually argue about a quarter of the way into the trip lol. If you are driving make sure you get adequate sleep... if you have a passenger make sure you switch off and take turns. we switched when we got through Maryland after we almost took out a concrete wall LMAO. We got food in Amish country of PA and then went the rest of the way and I drove the remainder.

I cant stress enough to take a break and sit if possible sometimes. We didnt sit from the time we got out the car at like 8am until like 3 and my legs hurt so bad and my lower back from walking/standing so much. and Deodorant people! it may be chilly outside but its sooo jammed packed with people.

There are ALWAYS those people at shows that like to stand in front of the animals and talk to the vendors. Miles is one of those. But we usually move to the side so others can see. And Mike was right about keeping stuff back until something sells. It never hurts to ask the vendor what else they might have behind the table.

There will be people just holding vendors snakes and such. I think pretty much every single vendor has a bottle or two of hand sanitizer. Alot of them actually will require you to use it before you touch their animals. You have to have patience at these bigger shows because there is so much to see and so many people.

But this was my favorite show until we went to Tinley.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I have been to this show many times. It blows any virginia show out of the water, well at least all the ones I've been to anyway. I highly recommend going, I may be heading up there myself. I live in Leesburg so it's only about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I leave around 7 and am back by 5. Anyone interested to break the trip up, you can drive up to my place in Leesburg and then we can carpool from there. I've done it with people coming from Richmond and south of Richmond. PM me if you are interested. I'm planning on going.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
gatto152

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 2:57 pm

leftoflarry wrote:
I have been to this show many times. It blows any virginia show out of the water, well at least all the ones I've been to anyway. I highly recommend going, I may be heading up there myself. I live in Leesburg so it's only about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I leave around 7 and am back by 5. Anyone interested to break the trip up, you can drive up to my place in Leesburg and then we can carpool from there. I've done it with people coming from Richmond and south of Richmond. PM me if you are interested. I'm planning on going.

Focal i got an idea me you your brother and a friend of mine carpool up to larry's in leesburg then we all carpool to hamburg good idea?!!??!
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Quote :
Focal i got an idea me you your brother and a friend of mine carpool up to larry's in leesburg then we all carpool to hamburg good idea?!!??!

I'm down and we can all chip in on gas and make it easier on everyone so that we'll have more money to spend at the show. cheers
Back to top Go down
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
gatto152

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 pm

leftoflarry wrote:

Quote :

I'm down and we can all chip in on gas and make it easier on everyone so that we'll have more money to spend at the show. cheers

I agree
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm

I will be going. I went to one a few years ago, I can't remember where, but I thought it was at the Hamburg Field House. We had prior engagements but I really wanted to go, so we left Charlottesville Friday afternoon to get there, and it was a little dissapointing because there weren't very many vendors there, and then we had to drive back home, so I am going on Saturday this time. I did get my two savvies while I was there though.
Back to top Go down
Gizmo

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Anyone know how i can convince the wife into going????she likes cats....lol
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Anyone know how i can convince the wife into going????she likes cats....lol

Well they sell furry animals at Hamburg too.....mostly frozen, but you know.... they're mammals. lol They actually also sell live, rats, mice, guinea pigs, rabbits, and on occasion quail and chickens.
Back to top Go down
Gizmo

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm

mmmm I dont know...she had a hamster once....her cat ate it...well played with it and left it for her to clean up...that kind of ruined pets for her. however. I just called her and told her to take off from work....she thinks we are going to a concert for her.... Smile little does she know we are going to hopefully pick up a male breeder super hypo tangerine for my female leo. cough anyone know any good restaurants in PA to make up lol
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 10:24 am

I was going to say to tell her you will take her to a really excellent restaurant, thats what I do to my husband, and he pretty much knows he's defeated anyway Smile No restaurant suggestions though, we usually go to Pats for cheesesteaks...
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 pm

I guess Miles got lucky that I was open minded to whatever he wanted to do and invest time/money in? lol... I don't have to convince him and he doesn't have to convince me.. we are always looking and deciding if its a good time for us to go or not lol.

But this time if we go I think we are going to stop for sure and eat up there other than just ChickFilA in Amish country at 6am lol.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Gizmo wrote:
mmmm I dont know...she had a hamster once....her cat ate it...well played with it and left it for her to clean up...that kind of ruined pets for her. however. I just called her and told her to take off from work....she thinks we are going to a concert for her.... Smile little does she know we are going to hopefully pick up a male breeder super hypo tangerine for my female leo. cough anyone know any good restaurants in PA to make up lol

Well I usually stop a Cabella's and eat there.... not the best restaurant, however they do have buffalo burgers. Smile And...you can buy her a nice article of clothing fromthere to make up for it, just don't buy her a gun may not be the wisest decision. Laughing

If I don't spend money at Hamburg (or even if I do spend money at hamburg), I usually go to CAbella's and spend money on fly fishing gear. (sigh) to much money.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 2:16 pm

I was really looking forward to going but my wife got a new job and had to work that day. We have a three year old and he is not quite ready for a ten hour car trip with a busy show thrown in. I was set up as a vendor at one of my friend's tables last year in the fall. It was my first time up there and I was really impressed. It reminded me a lot of the Colombia, SC repticon with all of the venomous, turtles, crocs, etc. I am shooting for the February show now.
Chip
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 2:42 pm

We will be there.... and possibly more than likely helping a friend vend the show. If that is the case we will be leaving Friday to drive up to our friends, help him load up and then drive up with him. Super Excited... Hoping we get some info on acquiring an Albino Bearded Dragon... I am sure it will have a pretty price tag though.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm

I would be extremely careful of purchasing an albino bearded dragon. I have never seen a true one offered for sale and I have read that the ones that do exist die at a young age. That would be amazing if you saw the parents and got a good deal but definitely keep an open (and skeptical) mind about any albinos you see.

http://www.sandfiredragonranch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=88
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:50 pm

hmmm maybe we will retract that want... of course we wont be purchasing anything until we move and have the reptile room set up... Brian we just may have to come to you when the time comes to purchase then.... but we like unique out of the ordinary not common stuff? Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I'd of course be happy to help you if I have anything but can also recommend some great breeders.

Definitely get at least one of the prove-able genetic traits (hypo, translucent, or leatherback/silkback). Silkbacks are extremely unique but require a little more care than normal. The colors and patterns can widely vary on the hatchlings from the same parents so I would browse different ones until you see something that matches with you. Even a "regular" red bearded dragon can be incredibly striking and worth more than the genetic morph animals if the red is eye-popping bright or deep.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 8:31 pm

thank you for the information Smile we have a lot of research to do. I love the one that is your avatar.
Back to top Go down
Mike.OutbackReptiles
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 pm

I'd be careful acquiring any "new" morph of an australian species, regardless of its genetics...

"Oh it came from Germany" yeah OK Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/the.surreal.deal
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Mike.OutbackReptiles wrote:
I'd be careful acquiring any "new" morph of an australian species, regardless of its genetics...

"Oh it came from Germany" yeah OK Wink

But thats how they all got here from there. trust me. That lines about as old as I am.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 am

Quote :
I love the one that is your avatar.

Thanks! Smile We hatched him out a few months ago and can't wait till he gets up to breeding size!

I could be mistaken but I believe bearded dragons are protected animals in Australia and you can't have one as a pet, let alone export them. While I suppose smuggled dragons are possible, there definitely is not anywhere close to the legal industry that exists in Africa where they hand select new ball python morphs produced in the wild and send them back here to certain breeders.

There are exclusive breeders for bearded dragons in Germany and Italy that do produce new morphs. The silkback (super for leatherback) morph came out of Italy and has been extremely well documented. There is really no need for illegal dragons from Australia as they are now breeding strong in captivity all over the world. I actually just exported several dragons to Malaysia all of places!
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 am

I am going to try to make this one.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Who's going???
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I have settled on Colombis this time. SC is closer for me but most importantly my wife should not have to work that day so I will not have to drag our three year old along.
Chip
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

If we are needed to help a friend vend we will go but if he doesnt need our help we might skip this one out this time. too much going on with the new house and old house to really pull away if we arent needed.
Back to top Go down
Cally95

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Anyone go today? How was it?
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 2:37 am

OMG it was nuts!!!!!! I will post a few pics later. The line to get in was huge and it was packed!!!!!! I didn't get anything but some superworms. There was lots of gorgeous snakes and some really cool turtles and frogs, but nothing I couldn't live without (the fact that I forgot to get cash did have a slight effect Smile ).
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 am

That's the best way to save money!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 am

Totally! It def. was not on purpose though, I thought we would pass a bank on the way there and didn't and then I thought they probably have an atm inside and didn't so, o-well. It was ok, I'm sure if I really wanted something they would have held it for me until I got some cash apparently there was atm down the street.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am

glad you got to experience it and enjoy it. it's def a wonderful show to attend and we were kicking ourselves in the rear ends for not going since route 10 was canceled. We found a few snakes online within driving distance we would be interested in but may just wait until Richmond in March.

We will definately be attending the next hamburg show though.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 am

I heard a couple of the vendors saying it is in August? I don't know though. It was a really good show, a lot of really nice snakes, there was one that was white and had blue eyes ( blue eyed leucistic) it was gorgeous, but 1500.00 is so not in my price range!!!

Last edited by Lokielani on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeah the hamburg show is a good one. I missed it ths time but may hit the next one.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Hamburg Reptile Show Dsc08613
Hamburg Reptile Show Dsc08614
Hamburg Reptile Show Dsc08615
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

They need a larger venue!!!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Looked pretty busy, always a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

You couldn't walk...great for the vendors, not great for the people who actually wanted to look at stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:08 am

yes. I remember the hamburg show we went to last year... i was dead tired when we left.... and jam packed it was. I love the big shows like that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hamburg Reptile Show   Hamburg Reptile Show Empty

Back to top Go down

Hamburg Reptile Show
Page 1 of 1