VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use

Go down 
+7
CurioCreatures
jw
DaganGecko
Lokielani
ezekiel21
byrd'sballs
Focal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use Empty
PostSubject: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:24 pm

A little info I found for Va field herepers:

4VAC15-360-10. Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use.

A. Possession limits. Except as otherwise provided for in ยง 29.1-418 of the Code of Virginia, 4VAC15-20-130, subdivision 8 of 4VAC15-320-40 and the sections of this chapter, it shall be lawful to capture and possess live for private use and not for sale no more than five individuals of any single native or naturalized (as defined in 4VAC15-20-50) species of amphibian and reptile and 20 individuals of any single native or naturalized (as defined in 4VAC15-20-50) species of aquatic invertebrate and nongame fish unless specifically listed below:

4. The daily limit for bullfrogs shall be 15 and for snapping turtles shall be 5. Bullfrogs and snapping turtles may not be taken from the banks or waters of designated stocked trout waters.

5. The following species may not be taken in any number for private use: candy darter, eastern hellbender, diamondback terrapin, and spotted turtle.

6. Native amphibians and reptiles, as defined in 4VAC15-20-50, that are captured within the Commonwealth and possessed live for private use and not for sale may be liberated under the following conditions:

a. Period of captivity does not exceed 30 days;

b. Animals must be liberated at the site of capture;

c. Animals must have been housed separately from other wild-caught and domestic animals; and

d. Animals that demonstrate symptoms of disease or illness or that have sustained injury during their captivity may not be released.

The DGIF is now issuing permits to licensed pet stores and captive breeders for them to sell three species of captive-bred snakes (4 VAC 15-360-50): eastern kingsnake, mole kingsnake, and corn snake. No other snakes native to Virginia can be bought or sold in Virginia, and there are size limits as to what can be sold.

If the native snakes allowed for sale by permit were produced in captivity they may be sold at larger than 12"-16".

Check with your county as county ordinances are changing and becoming more stringent and may restrict what you can do more than the state does.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Collecting, Exhibiting, and Releasing Wildlife:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/permits/guide.asp
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm

random statement my dads the senior wild life bioligst for the state of virginia
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:23 am

byrd'sballs wrote:
random statement my dads the senior wild life bioligst for the state of virginia

thats pretty freaking cool! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:39 am

Got to see a lot of cool stuff growing up.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 am

byrd'sballs wrote:

I totally want his job!!!
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 am

I have to admit number 4 made me giggle...but good stuff to know. Now I wish they could enforce it. I'm especially tired of wild caught stuff for sale en masse at shows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 am

They do enforce it a lot more then you think. They do undercover stings like they do undercover drug deals. If personalty seen a few people hand cuffed and crying. I would recommend doing it and excepting to get away with it.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am

Wouldn't recommend it.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:42 am

byrd'sballs wrote:
Got to see a lot of cool stuff growing up.

What are some highlights of stuff you saw growing up?
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am

Well i was the only lid on the block with a leash tame alligator. We had serveral rattlesnake speckled timber and pigmys. My dad picked up a hurt bob cat oneday and it got loose in our garage. . And I know of a very small pond that you can wade in at night and catch all the tiger salamanders you could want...
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Nice! You could probably write an interesting book based on your experiences.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm not too sure about that but I did have some pretty great times with my pops. How well do you know my dad?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't know him well at all. I may of met him once and exchanged a few emails when he was with the dgif.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh I got ya
Back to top Go down
CurioCreatures
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I would love to take a field trip to see the tiger salamanders....and of course take some pics and leave them in the wild...
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me. The law reads we can have 5 natives for personal use. That is 5 per person, right? My wife and I are both reptile enthusiast and owners. So, could we have 10 of one certain species in our home?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
CurioCreatures
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it's per location. I think it's one of those gray areas that would really be at the discretion of the officer you were dealing with. I'd keep it to 5.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I thought it was per person
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm

per person is my understanding. i dont want to call and ask, cause its like saying, HEY...I HAVE MORE THEN MY LIMIT OVER HERE. =)
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

lol!

Now I have a question of my own, I am military and live in VA and will till spring ish 2014... I really want to get a couple baby/juvenile RES this coming year, but in 2014 I'm going to move back to IL (where I'm from) and go to college, what's the law on WC and then leaving the state?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 pm

The law reads that you can take โ€œfor personal use.โ€ If taking them back home is your personal use, I think you are fine as far as VA is concerned. Just make sure its ok to take them to IL.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm going to look into IL law actually soon to male sure I can bring ALL my reptiles and such with me, I have gained a decent start to a collection and am adding to it regularly lol... I am starting to plan out custom made enclosures for most now with an indoor turtle pond tank build that I believe will be epic if I can pull it off. I really like the idea of going and searching out some RES and then isolate them and eventually introduce them into my DBT tank.
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 pm

I ran across a NC rescue the other night. They were listing 12 RES that they are giving away. I will try to find the site when I get home and send you the link.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am

That would be awesome if you find it
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:59 am

just got home....here it is....
http://ccsbreptilerescue.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

Thank you, unfortunately that's a 5+ hour drive one way lol...
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 2:48 pm

So at the VLM show I asked about the 5 per person limit, and it is per person, not house hold... They only enforce the limits when animals are being neglected and captured to sell illegally and what not. They said that unless there are calls made saying you doing something illegal in that sense then there is no need to worry.

Bassically they said they do not have the funding/man power to search out and enforce most of those laws. I know no one wanted to bit the bullet and ask, so I did lol
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/nongame.asp

any albino species may also be kept, bred, and sold as well. So for those of you that love the black rat snakes you can breed them as well. I was also told that this includes the leucistics as well even though they are technically not albino.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use   Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use Empty

Back to top Go down

Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use
Page 1 of 1