VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chesapeake laws/rules

Go down 
+5
smb2585
smd58
jw
DaganGecko
b_rickard
9 posters
AuthorMessage
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Chesapeake laws/rules Empty
PostSubject: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 am

Ok, so I finally got moved to a better area.
I am now in Chesapeake after my last load tonight. Now I do need help with some information.

1st, where can I print out and read the reptile rules/laws for Chesapeake?
2nd, do these same rules/laws apply throughout VA?

Reasons I am asking.
1st, I am not from Virginia and my wife is here because of the Navy.
2nd, my new landlord was ok with my "animals" and this is the reason we took this house, it has a huge garage. Well, long story short after I get more than 80% moved she changes her mind because she thinks I am an animal "hoarder", her words not mine. Plus she thinks what I am doing is wrong. I do not have that many animals. She was ok with turtles, but when she seen my ratrack, turtle food, she flipped out.

Now she wants to bring the Humane Society over to check it all out. That aint happening because they are not the cops first of all. Secondly, I don't care what they say about how I keep my animals. 20 years of turtle keeping trumps some idiot that thinks all animals are cute and cuddly, blah blah blah....

So, my wife said we need to find the rules that apply to reptiles for VA and Chesapeake. Can anyone help and show me where to find the information.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 3:03 am

Wow, this sounds terrible. Unfortunately one of the downfalls of our trade is that most people will not understand the business, proper care of the animals, and will confuse us with hoarders.

The Humane Society is ANTI REPTILES. Do NOT let her bring them into it. They will probably use you as further weaponry against reptile owners as a whole. They are the spawn of Satan. Grr even the thought makes me furious.

Anyway I cannot help since I am relatively new to the area as well, but I do not think I would want to live in a place with a landlord like that under any circumstances. I suggest you ask her to terminate the contract and you move elsewhere. She will most likely agree since she doesn't like how many you have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 am

Start here for Chesapeake Animal regulations: http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/Government/City-Departments/Departments/Police-Department/Animal-Services-Unit/tuacb-laws.htm

Herp laws between independent cities and counties in VA are inconsistent, however most differences pertain to venomous or dangerous animals.

Best of Luck!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:58 am

Good luck with that, as you said most of the officer wount know what they are looking at let alone how to keep it. and il bet once they get a complante they have to check it out, but if you have to let them in I don't know.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am

I live in Chesapeake and havent had any issues... granted i didn't read that some types on non-venomous reptiles require a $10/year/household thing... We may be goin to VA Beach soon though so who knows???? My bro is a chesapeake cop and hasnt said anything about our snakes either.
Back to top Go down
Chuck H.
Chuck H.

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Chesapeake's entire code of ordinances can be found here:

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=10529&stateID=46&statename=Virginia

Code 10-49 deals with wild/exotic animals.

Here is a State Code specific to reptiles:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+29.1-569

and, here is the website to Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries - has some more info on wildlife:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:33 am

thnx for all the help.
the :vomit: called Animal Control and they were here but I was out so they left a note. The note says I have a complaint about exotic animals living conditions!! Really, so my landlord who has a problem with animals being kept in dark, cramped tubs (mind you, she seen my snappers in the large 39 gal rubbermaid tubs from Lowes) calls and says I am mistreating my turtles.
I guess I will have to see what animal control has to say.

My snappers, except the alli snapper are all under 8 inches!! So she doesn't know jack squat about turtles, thinks they have it ruff. Like my friend in Iowa said, they have food all the time, clean water all the time, and don't need to worry about being bludgeoned to death have it bad?!?!?!?

Oh, she said it would be ok that my Asian turtles end up being eaten because they had a good life up until that point!!! REALLY???

Look at the pics in this link. Great life I guess!!

Does anybody have a house or know of a house for rent in Chesapeake that doesn't care that my turtles are kept in rubbermaid tubs??

I would pull my hair out but it is too short!!!
Guangzhou
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 am

Wow that link is rather horrific! But when people are living in conditions that bad, do you really expect the animals to be much better off? I feel bad for the animals but some of those people are living on the edge too. Doesn't excuse it, but it does put it in perspective a bit.

Unfortunately many people fail to realize the usefulness and perfectly acceptable habitats that plastic tubs can be to reptiles, as long as the tubs are the right size, properly ventilated, heated, and humidified. Perhaps you can show animal control the logistics of your setups and have some print-out info.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 2:03 am

That's why I keep my snake/repiles to myself, even though you keep your stuff super there's always someone who knows better and reports you. Most of the time they don't care for them and want to push there opeon on you. Then 9 out of ten time the officer who checks you out docent under stand reptiles. I had one that said her 10 hour class was better then my 20 years experence. The only snake she saw till that day was a few in her class. When you rent it's worse, landlords can check on there property almost when ever they want. And most don't want dogs or cat let alone reptiles. Again good luck.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 am

yeah, good luck. there is always someone that thinks they know everything. this women from work told me that because i have 30+ animals that they MOST be neglected..... because NO ONE has enough time for that. i really hated to break it to her but when you only sleep 2-4 hours a day it gives you a bit more time Very Happy plus i dont waste time doing stupid stuff that normal people enjoy..... like seeing the outside world, lol.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm

the house next door to wear we live is up for rent. Its been on the market to buy for over a year and its overpriced. I dont personally know the landlord. My landlord knows about my cats but not the snakes... I figure they are in a racks and since they never come by and i never call them because we take care of the issues ourselves, I should be ok. I can PM you the info if you wanna check into it? Its online and i can send you a link that has pics and such.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Sorry this is happening to you.

Another set of rules to look out for is HOA rules. These rules are arbitrarily made and new ones can be created at any time. Many HOA's ban reptiles all together or severely limit the number of pets you can have. Unfortunately, not many people are aware of the power these associations can have or if their neighborhood even has one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Brian, That is a GREAT point!
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info.
I would never move to a HOA place. I don't need any mini Hitlers telling what my house is supposed to look like!!
I cannot really hide this stuff. I had been doing it at my last place and it was just too stressful. Plus I couldn't keep much outside, which I want to do.
I will just move when my lease is up.
She emailed K. J. Strouse, Superintendent, Chesapeake Animal Services and got an answer she didn't really like.
Here is a copy of the email she got from Strouse

"No person may own or possess native wildlife without a permit from Game and Inland Fisheries. Non native exotic animals may be possessed as long as the possession is in compliance with local ordinances. For example, an exotic permit may be required in some jurisdictions, such as Chesapeake. Domestic rats and non native snakes are companion animals, and there are no limits in Chesapeake. Certain snakes do require a permit from Chesapeake and approval from Zoning. I do not know what other jurisdictions do."

Now, my question is where do I get such a permit? I have looked on the Game and Inland Fisheries website and cannot make heads or tales of it.

Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I might have missed it but which animals do you have that would require a permit?

A native animal permit is different then an exotic permit.

Quote :
For example, an exotic permit may be required in some jurisdictions, such as Chesapeake.

Certain snakes do require a permit from Chesapeake and approval from Zoning.

Here is what I found on the exotic animal permit:

Quote :
Owners of exotic animals, including but not limited to monkeys, wolf hybrids, poisonous reptiles, certain non-poisonous reptiles, emus, and llamas must obtain a permit from CASU. The cost is $10 per year per household per calendar year. (10-49)

http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/Government/City-Departments/Departments/Police-Department/Animal-Services-Unit/tuacb-laws.htm

Found it!

Here is Code 10-49

http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/Assets/supporting_docs/actions_council/2011/6-14-11/City+Attorney+Item+6+-+Animal+Services+code+amendment.pdf

Non poisonous snakes under 8 feet and non poisonous four footed reptiles under 5 feet in length are not considered exotic and DO NOT need an Exotic Permit

So as long as your animals are not native, you have no large boids or hots, you should not need a permit as far as I can tell.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Code 10-49 on page 40 of the PDF (can't copy and paste it in here). Note that this is an addendum to the current code, not the official copy, so it it may be different. However, it appears that this section is unchanged.

If you do have an exotic animal as defined here, it tells you exactly how to apply for the permit.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 am

I'm going to move this over to 'laws and leg' thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chesapeake laws/rules   Chesapeake laws/rules Empty

Back to top Go down

Chesapeake laws/rules
Page 1 of 1