VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rat Baby help

Go down 
+2
Dementeddogz
neeckow123
6 posters
AuthorMessage
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey everyone. So I started breeding rats a few months ago and I finally have some litters! So one mother had babies 2 weeks ago and the other had hers today. I noticed that the mother that had the babies 2 weeks ago took some of the mother that had the babies today. Is this a problem that I should be worried about? I have many tubs that aren't full in my rack so I could separate them but it looks like the 2 mothers really like each others company. Can someone help me out please? thanks
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Sometimes they do well together but its very common for them to steal babies from each others pile and move it to theirs, this can cause minor to serious injuries to the babies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Hayleyrbonini
Established Member
Established Member
Hayleyrbonini

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 10:59 pm

My females do this its never cause a serious problem. In the almost year I've been breeding rats only 3 babies have sustained injury from this and 2 of them were minor and healed only one was really bad so I culled him just to put him out of his misery. But other then that my moms switch and swap babies a lot and take turns taking care of them all and it all works out.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 10:58 am

The bigger problem is sometimes the older babies are stronger and will push the younger babies off the teets not allowing them to get enough milk.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 5:59 pm

I've had the best luck when raising the male and females together since weaning. I stopped switching males and females around and it has helped.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
crazedone123

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 10:09 am

ive learned in breeding rats and to keep production going. if i have litters back to back ill take the 1st moms babies and throw em in with the mom that just had hers, then throw the first mom back in to get preggo again. just keep the process going will end up in a couple thousand rats in no time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rat Baby help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rat Baby help   Rat Baby help Empty

Back to top Go down

Rat Baby help
Page 1 of 1