VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coolest looking crested geckos?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

Coolest looking crested geckos? Empty
PostSubject: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyMon May 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm looking in to getting a pair of crested geckos, a male and a female.
I haven't had any type of lizard since my beardie Fat Earl passed away a couple of years ago...
Just recently picked up a nice exo-terra cage and figured, why not? Of course I researched into their husbandry, seems pretty simple and they're cooky little things.
Anyway, I researched the genetics of them and, taking into account how that works, I figured I'd just pick two I really like...
What're your favorites? I am kind of leaning towards Halloween, Harlequin, or Dalmatian.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyMon May 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Halloweens, Harlequins and Dalmations are my fav, I also love super dals but they can be a little costly, and then the pied and there is one i don;t know the morph name but it's silk white and never changes it's color. both the white and the pieds tho i think are impossible to buy. the white one i heard only 3 people have them and are trying to breed more. and i haven't seen pieds for sale.
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyMon May 13, 2013 10:58 pm

I've seen pictures of the white ones on google! My spending limit for both is probably around $300, maaaaybe more if I go to the reptile expo and I see one I absolutely fall in love with, because I've been known to do that too, hah.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 1:01 am

yeah 300 can get you a nice pair just remember 1 male 1 female or 2 females. Halloweens go for about 150-200 last i checked
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

Yeah I read males will kill each other. I'm a big fan of the darker colors, but I also like the bright red color they can have too
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:19 am

I have a really nice male for sale right now. Hes got a hugee head! Message me if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
megkel
Established Member
Established Member
megkel

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:20 am

I love Dalmatians. I have two patternless crested geckos. The main thing to remember about crested geckos is that it's more about the linage than what the actual parents look like.

I used to keep my crested geckos in an exoterra when they are together, however recently I changed their set ups and I'm really liking it.

Coolest looking crested geckos? 247775_4752547336700_888657252_n

I only have two (male and female) and right now they are separated to give them a break. They each are in one of the Rubbermaid containers which is 56 quarts. I am thinking when they are together about flipping the top one and combining the two tubs.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:44 am

where did you get thoe that a hell of a idea since i'm always adding more to my collection
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:41 am

Wow those enclosures are great
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:03 am

Also you think it'd be a bad idea to house them together? Because if so then I might just get two females. Breeding would be super exciting but I mainly want two so they can be buddies
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:08 am

Back to top Go down
megkel
Established Member
Established Member
megkel

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Shelleyshadows wrote:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP092094&CatName=Storage

These are exactly what I bought. Apparently they come in a few different sizes but the Walmart near me only had the black ones for $12 each. I can run up and snap a quick pick of how the inside looks for you if you like. Basicly I bought some shower hooks from the dollar store, vines from Michaels, and used a Ziplock container as a humid hide. I hot glued the hooks to the side, hung the vines and put in their hides.

I only separated mine because they are a male/female pair, and I wanted to give the female a break. After a few months of laying eggs it's good to give her time to relax and put some weight back on. I am also looking at moving soon so I didn't want to stress her out and have her eggbound. I will probably give her the summer off before reintroducing them. Not everyone waits so long, usually just a month or two, but with all the moving I am sure she is going to be extra stressed and I want to make sure she is good to go before putting her back.

You really shouldn't have to worry about it if it's two females. If you do get a male be warned their courtship can be extremely rough looking. There are a few videos on YouTube on it if you want to check it out. It can be very surprising if you are not prepared for it lol
Back to top Go down
megkel
Established Member
Established Member
megkel

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

sic_anger wrote:
where did you get thoe that a hell of a idea since i'm always adding more to my collection

I originally saw this idea being used for carpet pythons. I thought I would try for my two since it looked nice. When I bought the tubs I realized by the "door" the bottom just rests against the tub and any snake trying escape if small enough could. I think I have a way to fix this, I just have to pay around with it, but I am pretty sure I know how to fix that. However I had the idea to use it for the cresties. Now I am going to have racks of these containers lol
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I've never seen them in any store by me but they're not expensive and that enclosure set up looks great so it's definitely worth it.... Maybe just make one and have my exoterra set up, that way I can just move the male into the Rubbermaid when they're not together.... I'm getting an inheritance soon, hopefully before the reptile expo, so that's where I plan on buying them.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Yeah i was planing on buying 6 exo terra and running a pair in each and making a misting system for them but hell this is alot cheaper, still looks good and should still give them plenty of room and being plastic it should be easy to make the misting system in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolest looking crested geckos?   Coolest looking crested geckos? Empty

Back to top Go down

Coolest looking crested geckos?
Page 1 of 1