VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Proper substrate for monitor lizard?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
attack_donut

Proper substrate for monitor lizard? Empty
PostSubject: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Argo, my Roughneck Monitor, is in a 75gal that is currently using newspaper. He really tears it up after I set it up all nice for him, he's fed outside his tank, so what would be a better substrate?
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 pm

I use a mixture of ground walnut, happy frog organic soil and sand at about 6" deep. It makes a good burrowing substrate.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 am

I agree with Lokielani, or something that's beening used to is Sani Chips. Just depends on the cage, remember they need humidity to shed and sani chips, and news paper you have to spray them alot, on a sand soil mix it'll hold humidity in it's self. Another thing on of my friends in Europe told me was aspen mulch, not the dry stuff from pet stores but from lawn and garden stores but find it in organic.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 am

I actually use shredded aspen, I used a dirt sand mix for a while but at the time he was so small that he would burrow and we could never get him out, then we switched to sani chips but I did not like them because the hymidity was hard to keep with them. The shredded aspen is awesome. Holds hymdity and he can still borrow into and under it. He seems to love it and its easy to keep up with.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

once i build my next enclosure for mine i think i'm going back to sand soil mix, trick i learned was build them a underground barrow and make it so you have a viewing point and a way in like a top that opens.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 pm

I used crushed walnut shell for a long time, and just misted him and he had a huge pool, but now that he is so much bigger it was hard to keep the humidity up so I switched to the dirt mix and he loves it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proper substrate for monitor lizard?   Proper substrate for monitor lizard? Empty

Back to top Go down

Proper substrate for monitor lizard?
Page 1 of 1