VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Monitor Lizard intelligence?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
attack_donut

Monitor Lizard intelligence? Empty
PostSubject: Monitor Lizard intelligence?   Monitor Lizard intelligence? EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

So Argo, my Roughneck Monitor, was hungry the other day. Now normally he gets fed on a regular schedule, but I have recently moved and everything was disrupted. So I've been late in feeding him (guilty as charged, I know) and when I let him out the other night to his exercise, he came straight over to my chair where I was sitting, looked up at me, jumped (he hasn't done that since he was a baby) into my lap, and started climbing around me, up to my head, then down my leg. Once down, he looked at me as if to say "I'm hungry, feed me darnit!" walked towards the kitchen (where he is fed) then back to me, and repeated this behaviour until the food I had thawing for him (steak) was done. Basically 3-4 times until his food was ready.

I found it interesting because at any other time, he doesn't really notice me or interact with me at all. So something is going on "up there" in his head, which got me to thinking, just how intelligent are Monitor lizards? Anyone ever do any hard research on this?
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Monitor Lizard intelligence?   Monitor Lizard intelligence? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 2:42 am

My experience with Monitors (Mostly waters) are extremely intelligent.
Back to top Go down
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
attack_donut

PostSubject: Re: Monitor Lizard intelligence?   Monitor Lizard intelligence? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 8:02 am

Deedle wrote:
My experience with Monitors (Mostly waters) are extremely intelligent.  

But in what way? Owner recognition? problem solving?
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Monitor Lizard intelligence?   Monitor Lizard intelligence? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am

General intelligence

They're very observant, they definately problem solve, I believe they recognize their owners also as they build trust relationships.

I won't say it about all monitors but waters I have personally seen leash trained hell the one I watched for a friend was an adult about 5' and walked on a leash better than most dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monitor Lizard intelligence?   Monitor Lizard intelligence? Empty

Back to top Go down

Monitor Lizard intelligence?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: