VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I might try a new roach feed, opinions?

Go down 
+2
Don
Focal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

I might try a new roach feed, opinions? Empty
PostSubject: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am

I saw an ad for natural bee pollen and thought about supplementing my feed, but then noticed they sell roach feed that appears to already have the pollen in it. It's a bit on the pricey side and I'm about to ask the seller what's in it, but does anyone have any experience or knowledge on bee pollen for roaches?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383402

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 am

I buy the cheapest cat food I can find. I supplement that with fruit and powdered rat food at the bottom of the feed bags. My colony has been going for more than five years. I wouldn't put a lot of money into roach food. Doesn't make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:38 pm

I agree that pollen wouldn't add anything to roach feed. I don't think they're natural pollinators in the wild so it shouldn't make up any nutritional deficiency by adding it. Ditto with what you'd be feeding them too

Don, you might be better off buying a bag of premium chick feed from a tractor supply or feed and seed store... $12 for 25 or 40lbs. I bet it's still more cost effective than the cheapest cat food but will have much better nutrition (which is really for whatever eats them, not the roaches).
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks! I heard back from the seller and its 40% lamb dog food. I don't really feel like spending that much money on dog food but it did have the pollen in it. I figured the pollen might have some super power Smile
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I used the shake from the rodent food for my roaches and they loved it. Plus oatmeal and carrots. The shake is basically free since I was going to throw it out anyway.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Nick the best thing is premium dog food. Something without the red dyes. Ive heard the red dyes may not b so good for snakes. So if your feeding lizards it may be bad for them as well. I grind it in one of those bullet blenders that is solely for this purpose. And also you should give them cut up oranges. That spikes their breeding for some reason. Think its got something to do with he roach courting behavior where the males produce a sweet substance on their backs to get the females into position so they can lock them when the female takes the bait. That's why the males flutter their wings to spread the smell and temp the females. And also good to fed veggies once a week.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks! I definitely need to get back on the oranges then. I didn't really have a problem with the dog food part other than the blend being 40% staple. I was hoping to supplement my current staple, that I already have a bunch of, with other stuff I may be missing. The seller did give me the top ingredients and I might mix something similar up.

I use the left over rat food powder with the chick feed, too. They really love it and will eat any solid chunks first.
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:38 am

Bee pollen is very rich in vitamins. the add you posted at $3 an ounce is a bit high....its not hard to find for around $1 an ounce if you know where to look.

There are several other powders that have benefits, and while we do feed our animals roaches, the really dont need much to thrive if you follow the basics. Oranges do seem to help with breeding and can be fed other fruits veggies, I keep water crystals, home made chow, and fresh fruits/veggies on occasion. Alot of people use dog food/cat food (cat food is easier to grind), high protien, oats/oatmeal (they seem to love the smell of maple and brown sugar), fish food, exc are commonly found in roach chow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I might try a new roach feed, opinions?   I might try a new roach feed, opinions? Empty

Back to top Go down

I might try a new roach feed, opinions?
Page 1 of 1