VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meal worm colony

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm looking to start a meal worm colony to add some change to my pets diets and to save money in the long run. I have been looking up a bunch of stuff and just thought to ask here if anyone has one already and if so can they give me a good idea what there set up is like...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I have one of those small three bin plastic organizers on casters and use oatmeal and breadcrumb for bedding and give various veggies etc. They do very well in there. I probably have 1000's. I keep them around 78 deg or so. I can send a pic later.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 pm

That would be awesome... Do you Split them in into the different stages of life?
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

i have two bins. one on top of other. 1st one put beetles in and the bottom is made of screen and the baby mealworms fall into the 2nd bin. then when they grow up and pupate (what its called?) i put them in the first bin on an upside down cup so beetles wont get them. then when they change they just walk off the cup and into the bin...this way your beetles and worms will never be together. I guess the beetles eat the pupa (thats why they are on cup) but i do know for sure... if you leave them with the worms they will eat them
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

sorry i would be better off having my 6yr old retype **** for me Smile
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Can you send me pics of the setup please... I think I get it, but pics would be helpful as well lol... What do the Beatles eat then I read keep them in crushed up oats and stuff... Wouldn't that drop through the screen too?
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 7:08 pm

i will try and get some pics...i just have them on instant oats...i use small screen like you would find on a door or window. Oats dont fit but their poo does. If you want to try it i will look for the screen and u can have some
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 7:34 pm

That would great, you going to the show on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm

i plan too but also looks like we are both at the beach.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

That is true, but tom and thurs I work like crazy, Fri and sat I would be free though. I just did not want to inconvenience you at all
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't split mine. They have been this way for months and I got the colony from Battlefield Reptiles (can't remember his name) and he had them this way when I got them. I don't notice the beetles eating anybody, I always have every stage when I need them. I do clean the bins out every couple months, they are actually due for a cleaning as you can tell from the pic! Very low maintenance, I give them potatoes, pears, apples, squash, pretty much anything that is a veggie and they eat it up, every couple of days.

Meal worm colony Photo10

Meal worm colony Photo110

Meal worm colony Photo210
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 pm

the 1st year i did them i left them all together with not a real issue but i think iv had more worms with this new way only because less pupa get eaten by worms. I also do potatoes and sometime baby carrots...
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 am

Im hoping you mean supers not mealies o.0 Set up seems pretty common I use one of the larger bins, 2-3 drawers for incubating worms - > beetle stages - a drawer or two for beetles and bounce them around at harvest, and remaining set up split up for micros and larger worms
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 am

Kaco, what are your thoughts on meals? Do you believe they cause compaction? Too fattening? I can only guess negative from your comment. Read some on it and seems like you should not use as main staple and not use on smaller dragons and as long as your temps are right adults should be fine but input would be awesome as no one wants to hurt their dragons.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 am

impaction
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 am

I have no plans on using them as the main food source, I have a dubia and veggies as the main... The meal worms are for a treat (all 3 of my beardies are almost 2 or older) and as a second food source for my savannah monitor... I usually buy a bunch each week to cycle into rotation and figure I could grow them rather then buy... If the sound of crickets did not piss me off so much I would do them as well lol
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 am

ew crickets! i dont like keeping them at all. I can put up with the sound but not the smell.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 am

I can imagine that sucks as well... I may end up doing super worms as well but from what I have read it seems like they are a bit of work, having to isolate them and stuff... Basically I would like to not have to get any feeder insects for any of my reptiles in the near ish future...
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:55 am

i was lookin at supers (last night and this morning)...they dont look too hard. that is why i did meal worms because they seemed to be too much work but guess will give them a try.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 am

I will prob end up doing both, I'm gonna start with meal worms and then move on to supers... Maybe look into some others as well... I don't know, I like having a replenishing supply of feeders... Once I move out of my current place and get a place with a garage at least I'm gonna start breeding rats and then I will be set... But that's all in due time
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

im breeding rats rabbits mealworms dubia (as feeders) its a zoo here...i tried breeding feeder fish to feed to my oscar but didnt work
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 am

Lol, I'm slowly working my way towards that... Although my gf is very adamant about me not breeding rats inside the house... That is my current hurdle to get around...
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 am

mine are in the garage. Sometimes if its getting close to time to clean and i guess the wind blows just right the smell comes in the ventilation. Was starting to build a shed but no money and not sure if i will be able to keep it cool enough in the summer... No issue in the garage with temps but also in the winter i vent my dryer into the garage to help keep it warmer
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm

have 135 super worms in their own cups! found a use for my snake tub lids and the million 2oz cups i mistakenly picked up. Hot glued 45 cups to 3 different lids and then set another cup inside those (so pupa / beetles EZ to get out) so they can be lifted out. Stacked on top of each other and setting on the top of one of my snake racks.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Pics of the superworm setup? Lol
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

What's that?
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:03 pm

i thot i saw u post about crested and right after leaivn this page i refresh craigs list and somone had posted one...figured id link it. Could have been another person talking about them my bad
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Vergesseneins wrote:
have 135 super worms in their own cups! found a use for my snake tub lids and the million 2oz cups i mistakenly picked up. Hot glued 45 cups to 3 different lids and then set another cup inside those (so pupa / beetles EZ to get out) so they can be lifted out. Stacked on top of each other and setting on the top of one of my snake racks.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:39 pm

That was on the reptile expo page a guy had asked about them... I was thinking that was it, no worries...
Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Dementeddogz

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:48 am

Vergesseneins wrote:
Kaco, what are your thoughts on meals? Do you believe they cause compaction? Too fattening? I can only guess negative from your comment. Read some on it and seems like you should not use as main staple and not use on smaller dragons and as long as your temps are right adults should be fine but input would be awesome as no one wants to hurt their dragons.

Nutritionally they are similar, supers do have higher fat content and slightly elevated fiber. Neither have any other notable values other then being high in phosphorus. and neither should be used as a main staple or often for younger dragons. Superworms seem to have a better meat to shell ratio, i prefer using supers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Sponsored content

Meal worm colony Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meal worm colony   Meal worm colony Empty

Back to top Go down

Meal worm colony
Page 1 of 1