VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vet Visit Tomorrow

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow EmptyTue May 22, 2012 9:49 am

Two of my fur-kids have a visit to the vet tomorrow. Tyran, my 6 year old marbled tabby cat has to go in for her ears. They are full of this nasty, black, waxy substance. It doesn't smell and I don't think its mites. She is also licking the fur off her front legs. Someone mentioned it could be a yeast infection in her ear and she's getting it on her legs.

The other fur-kid who has to go to the vet is Twitch, my 4.5 year old ferret. She's a Marshall's Ferret which means she came from the company Marshalls who breeds ferrets for the pet industry. These ferrets are poorly bred and are very likey to develop Adrenal Disease. There is no cure for Adrenal Disease, only treatment to manage symptoms. Twitch already has 2 symptoms. Adrenal Disease can also be brought on by a poor diet. MOST (if not all) ferret foods are actually not good for your ferret. Currently I feed mine a high protein, grain free, cat kibble. But even this isn't that great for them. Idealy, they should be on a raw meat/bone/organ diet or whole prey diet. My ferrets WERE on a raw diet but I recently switched them back to kibble. I have plans to put them back on a raw/whole prey diet.

So keep Twitch in your thoughts. If the vet does diagnose her with Adrenal she will have to go on medication for the rest of her life. Poor baby! And she's so young!
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Sorry to hear that Jesse. Hopefully everything works out and goes smoothly. Keep us posted. Got your fur-kids in my thoughts
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Thank you. I'm hoping I can put Twitch on a 6 month implant instead of daily medication. This just goes to show you, you HAVE to put ferrets on the proper diet from the start.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Definately... goes to show that the ones in the petstores you see probably aren't given the proper diet either... which means only way to for sure get proper diet is to get them as babies and raise them... correct???
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow EmptyTue May 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Yes. I got Twitch when she was about 8 weeks old which is pretty much the earliest you can get them (kinda like puppies). I fed her raw for several years and then switched her to kibble because I couldn't keep up with organizing their diet properly. Now she has this. Sad I can't wait to get them all on whole prey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vet Visit Tomorrow   Vet Visit Tomorrow Empty

Back to top Go down

Vet Visit Tomorrow
Page 1 of 1