VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)

Go down 
+3
smd58
Focal
DaganGecko
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) Empty
PostSubject: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi,

This mojave female has been eating f/t small rats. I took pictures of her a week ago and observed what I thought was stuck shed on her head. I sprayed her container in the rack really well.

Today I see that it has progressed, whatever it is. I have no idea what it is. It almost looks like she has been rubbing her head in the tub somehow. I'm really worried. What should I put on it? Some kind of antibiotic?

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) WoundA

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) WoundB

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) WoundC
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 pm

I should add that fairly recently (Mid April) I put this snake in a new snake rack that I purchased. Before then she was in a plastic tub with a locking lid.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Looks like a rub spot. How big is the gap between the tub and upper shelf? I have a couple that will rub all night if left in a rack.

You might be able to use triple antibiotic cream withOUT the added pain relief. Not sure if it's perfect for that problem but it should keep it moist and prevent more damage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 pm

There is no gap, but the man who built the rack (C Serpents on FB) added a screw in divider in the center of the tub to make smaller areas for young snakes. Perhaps she is trying to get to the other side of the divider at night.

I will get some cream. Thanks. Smile Why is pain relief bad for them?

Do you think she needs a soak, even though the tub is humid?
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I agree it looks like a rub spot.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Maybe I should put her in a different tub...hmm.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 am

Depending on the size tubs you are using, I know someone who can make you some nice dividers. We use 32qt tubs and that is what they are made for. The pieces slide together to lock together (they are cut to size) and then it slides into the slots where the latches would be for locking the tubs. I can take a pic later at home.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

It has been my experience that rub wounds are typically on the snout and not between the eyes/top of the head.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

The dividers in my tub are already really nice. I don't need new ones.

I can't think what it would be if not a rub wound.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 am

I'm no expert, but I tend to agree with JW. Usually rub wounds happen on the snout not on top of the head, unless it is rubbing his head on some kind of object that is protruding out. This MAY even be a fungal infection. Again, only speculation, but it is peculiar to see a rub wound on top of a snakes head like that. I would take it to the vet just to make sure it is not an infection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:44 am

I would check the play in the dividers just to be safe. Not sure why the Pain Relief is not good for them, but everything I have read says to stay away from it.

I should have clarified more about the rub spot. When they rub, it does appear more often on the snout, however, it could be the head getting stuck at the widest point. When there is a gap, they will attempt to squeeze through it even if the fattest part of the head doesn't want to go. The undamaged scales around the wound appear to be stretched towards the back which appears to have been pushed back from catching on something.

Can you take some pics of the tubs and dividers? The tiniest holes will seem like an out and she could even be trying to push under it. I would prep the tub in a manner so the next day you can tell where she has spent the night trying to fight.

I would also try moving her to a different tub for a few weeks to see if it gets better.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:13 am

Hey guys! Sorry, I lost track of all the threads I started for a while! I thought you might like an update on this gal.

I had suspected the divider in the tub being the cause of the trouble, even though none of the other snakes in similar tubs had rub spots.

I moved this girl to a sterile bin not in a rack (but well heated). After about a week of keeping that bin pristine and putting triple-antibiotic ointment on her head, I started to see much improvement.

I will get new pics soon, but the scales are growing back fine. I think I will not be using tub dividers in the future even though they often come with these racks. Unfortunately I am not allowed to buy a new rack until my bf decides if we're moving or not. It makes more sense to have separate tubs though rather than dividers.

So in summation, the wound on the head was indeed a rub wound, and triple-antibiotic ointment works wonders. Smile AND...pay attention to your ball python's heads, whatever their enclosure!
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:58 pm

i've heard someone on here recomend vetricine for reptile wonds.they said it worked really goood.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:44 am

Awesome!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)   Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics) Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange Wound on Ball Python (Big Pics)
Page 1 of 1