VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting involved in Rescue

Go down 
+6
Thibo703
jw
Don
Vergesseneins
Grymm
ClarkeReptiles
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Getting involved in Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 am

Now, I will say this first. This is not something I am able to do now but is something I could be interested in doing in the future when I have the funds, space, and time to do so.

As I've told my husband, I want my career to revolve around reptiles and other exotic animals. I have dreams of opening my own reptile business. I've "rescued" a few snakes over the past few years but that's about it. (Two ball pythons and a corn snake)

When I read the thread regarding the closing of the VA Reptile Rescue, it got me thinking. Would it really be possible to operate both a reptile/feeder business and a reptile rescue at the same time? This is definitely not something I could do now. I live in a small two bedroom apartment, but if/when I ever have the space, funds, and time to do so, I think it would be great to open a small rescue operation.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:04 am

The two seem to often be at odds with one another.

I imagine that spending so much time and energy dealing with the animals that have been abused and have suffered might eventually change your ability to sell for profit.

most people who run rescues tend to be very insistent that those animals never be bred, traded, or sold. (It makes it difficult for me to work with them when they have clauses that state that you won't actually ever own these animals, you'll just be holding on to them. We can take them back at ANY time and drop by your place ANY time and take back our animals. By legal force if necessary.

it's what keeps me from working with a lot of rescues in the area.)

I do think that it's fair impossible to care about these animals and see one in a bad situation and not what to do something about it, not be driven to action.

here is the best of my knowledge legally:
If you open a reptile rescue that's considered a not for profit and can be registered as such. Legally you are allowed to also own and operate a for profit business that does the same thing, but the two must be kept stringently separate financially.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

i wanted to get a boa from a rescue but after reading everything in their contract i felt the same way...i understand they want them to go to a better home but seems a little much...i cant b the only one feeling this way because i see the same desirable low priced animals sitting in a rescue for months... 8(

Jesse, let us know if you ever do it tho...im sure everyone here could pull their resources and help out...im sure people have extra lamps lights heat pads and other stuff.. (a few extra feeders every week)
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 am

The problem with having both is you really should have two different facilities. The rescue is going to have reptiles coming in and out. You never know what diseases or issues the animals may have. In addition, you will have to be well versed in care of many different species and their problems.

I would want to keep that away from my business and pet reptiles, especially the breeders. One bad case of IBD comes in and you wipe out all of your pythons. I've read horror stories about people's collections slowly dying an agonizing death because they didn't practice proper quarantine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:47 pm

I would only ever operate a rescue if I cokuld house the two groups (collection and rescues) in two separate buildings. I would also practice strict QT.

I get what you're saying about the rescues being too strict about the animals. As long as someone demonstrates they can care for the animal correctly (has knowledge of the care and requirements of the animal) then I see no need to interfere later on and drop by for visits. Also, unless the animal has a medical/physical/genetic reason they should not breed, id leave that decision up to the person adopting. Personally I do not breed animals I have rescued.

Finances is another biggie when starting a rescue. Some of the animals coming in may need medical attention and that can add up fast. It would be a good idea to get some basic exotic first aid supplies and know how to.use them. And it would also be a good idea to research the reptile vets in the area to find out which ones really know their stuff.

I've got a lot of research and saving up to do, but hopefully in a few years when I have a house and some land I can start this up.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:21 am

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations for books on exotic veterinary medicine? I came across a book a long time ago when I worked for Barnes and Noble that was a book all about A/P and veterinary medicine related to reptiles and other exotics. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or who wrote it. I have decided to, eventually, become trained as a vet tech (in the future because currently I don't have the money. An intense 2 year training course is a couple thousand dollars). For now, I will simply read and get some basic knowledge on first aid for exotics.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am

You may want to search Amazon.com for "Reptile Medicine".
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks. I did just that and it came back with a bunch of books!!! I'll definitely be looking into getting some of these. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Ok SO I was looking for somewhere to post this and this seems like the best place.
A friend in northern VA had the same reaction to the closing of the current reptile rescue and wants to OPEN HER OWN REPTILE RESCUE!!! She however is a little weary of snakes and would not like to house them (only lizards, turtles, etc..). If you would like to help and could house a few snakes temporarily until rescuers are found please contact me with your contact info that I can pass along for her to get in touch with you.
Maybe we can get some of the people with large collections to add a "Rescues Rack" in the corner of their reptile room to help give back to the reptiles that have been so good to us.?
She is holding a meeting this weekend where we will be discussing the operations of the rescue and to get everyone involved to meet. You are welcome to attend if you like but is in no way required. It will be near Woodbridge.
I think in light of the current rescue closing this forum could use its unity of snake lovers to easily find homes for neglected animals. Maybe we should start a category where we can post these animals for rescue and maybe equipment donations?
And I strongly agree with you all about the discouraging overbearing restrictions of the previous rescue which I will be bringing up at the meeting, (it has kept me from rescuing several animals in the past). Also please let me know of any other suggestions you think should be discussed at the meeting.
I really hope we can make this work. I'll be trying to contact the admins about finding a place for rescues and possibly equipment donations on the forum to try to get us all working together.
Smile

-Tbo
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Please keep us updated on the state of things. I would be more than happy to open my heart to rescues if it doesn't include all the craziness.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Grymm wrote:
most people who run rescues tend to be very insistent that those animals never be bred, traded, or sold. (It makes it difficult for me to work with them when they have clauses that state that you won't actually ever own these animals, you'll just be holding on to them. We can take them back at ANY time and drop by your place ANY time and take back our animals. By legal force if necessary

This.

I have even seen dog "rescues" that state they can take the dog away from you at any time for any reason, and for the whole of the dogs life, they can surprise visit you at your house! To me this is the equivalent to giving someone permission to break in and steal whenever they feel like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 pm

If I had the space and funds to take on rescues at this time I would, but currently all I have around the house are a few 10g tanks with some heat lamps, which I don't really like using for snakes anyway.

If/When I do start up a rescue I would simply require the person have knowledge on how to take care of the animal. In the applications process I would probably have them fill out a small form just giving some information on what environment they currently have for the animal and a few questions regarding its care and feeding.

Since I won't be able to start a rescue right now, I had a thought on what I could do in the meantime. If I produce and sell any snakes next season, I was thinking of donating a portion to either a reptile rescue or something like USARK.

I tried getting in touch with the VA reptile Rescue on Facebook (wrote them a message) but I haven't heard back. I was trying to get some information on how they got started and any advice they may have as far as jumping through any legal hoops. I have next to no knowledge on running a non-profit, so I need to get my research on. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:

I tried getting in touch with the VA reptile Rescue on Facebook (wrote them a message) but I haven't heard back. I was trying to get some information on how they got started and any advice they may have as far as jumping through any legal hoops. I have next to no knowledge on running a non-profit, so I need to get my research on. Smile

Give Karen a call at (703) 772-2766. Shes the one trying to start up the new rescue. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Don wrote:
The problem with having both is you really should have two different facilities. The rescue is going to have reptiles coming in and out. You never know what diseases or issues the animals may have. In addition, you will have to be well versed in care of many different species and their problems.

I would want to keep that away from my business and pet reptiles, especially the breeders. One bad case of IBD comes in and you wipe out all of your pythons. I've read horror stories about people's collections slowly dying an agonizing death because they didn't practice proper quarantine.

I think Don has a very valid point. There are loads of people trying to unload unwanted animals and you never know their background, what diseases they are carrying etc. You could become over run with sick reptiles and like you said the costs of treating and caring for them could become extensive.

I think it is great to want to start a rescue down the road and becoming a vet tech is very mentally rewarding and exhausting (the pay is crap though), but if you want to do it to benefit yourself that doesn't matter. You should look for a vet tech program that offers some reptile/amphibian/exotics classes. I also don't like the online vet tech programs, but they are available as well. I work with a bunch of vet techs and a friend of mine just got her license and works at the emergency vet clinic here I can ask them if they know of any good books or advice for you to get started Smile
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Unfortunately I have met many bad rescues at reptile shows. By "bad" I mean that they had good intentions, but would often just end up being families who had accumulated random unwanted reptiles. The term "rescue" can be so loosely understood. Be careful to find something legitimate. Wink
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 pm

DaganGecko wrote:
Unfortunately I have met many bad rescues at reptile shows. By "bad" I mean that they had good intentions, but would often just end up being families who had accumulated random unwanted reptiles. The term "rescue" can be so loosely understood. Be careful to find something legitimate. Wink
This

Sometimes I hear people use the word rescue and I'm can't help but think 'you should get over yourself. You rescued that snake from its previous owner about as much as I rescued my pork chops from the supermarket.'

And then these people end up with far more animals than they can care for, but nobody is willing to meet their ridiculous demands so they post all over craigslist about how they need help. (btw I'm not talking about anyone specific here, I've noticed it with rescues across many different species)
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:48 am

And often they cannot afford vet care, though that topic has been discussed already.
Back to top Go down
CoiledConstrictors
CoiledConstrictors

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 am

Thibo703 wrote:
ClarkeReptiles wrote:

Give Karen a call at (703) 772-2766. Shes the one trying to start up the new rescue. Smile

I will actually be at that meeting myself. I'm really excited to jump in and help out any way possible Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.coiledconstrictors.com
Thibo703
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Thibo703

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

CoiledConstrictors wrote:
Thibo703 wrote:
ClarkeReptiles wrote:

I will actually be at that meeting myself. I'm really excited to jump in and help out any way possible Very Happy

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm not able to attend any meetings because of my work schedule. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting involved in Rescue   Getting involved in Rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting involved in Rescue
Page 1 of 1