VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need help sexing ball python

Go down 
+3
smd58
Grymm
Bobbykaizer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

Need help sexing ball python Empty
PostSubject: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey guys, im supposed to be picking up a female normal soon. he told me shes a female and she's 4 years old, around 4-4 1/2 feet. (prime breeder!!) however i'd like to make sure she was female. the guy at animal jungle told me you cant or shouldnt pop them when they're that big and he wouldnt even show me how.. alot of help lol. does anyone know how to sex this snake? i know theres probing but does that cause infection?? would anyone be willing to shove a probe up my snakes butt for me? thanks!
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:08 pm

if im not mistaken pet paradise will sex for free and i thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhink they probe but im not sure
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:26 pm

Poping is not something you could not have learned from them telling you how, it takes a little practice to be good at it. Probeing is also a skill that has to be learned. But even AJ will probe them for you. But I take it you don't have the snake to take it any where?
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 pm

Hmm... Popping isn't that bad from what I know? It isn't that hard with ball pythons either, I've done it quite a bit. If you don't know what you are doing though, it is very easy to break their tails. I would be careful about buying from this guy, it makes no sense why he wouldnt at least show you how to pop a python.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 am

no,im supposed to be getting it from another guyso i went to AJ to ask them how to pop so when i go to pick it up i can be sure its female. correct, i dont have the snake yet. i should be getting it in a month or so when my friend is finished moving.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 9:27 am

Got my fingers x for you that would be a good female to get. All grown up.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 1:33 pm

yes definately. thanks, shes only gonna be 50 bucks to so a great deal as well. as long as this whole thing is legit
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

If you can't have anyone show you in person, YouTube is the best next thing to learn from.

It's best to be gentle and start with hatchlings IMO. Adults can be hard because males develop muscle control and can be difficult to pop by a novice (me!), leaving an incorrectly sexed male.

The last snake I had sexed at the pet store was popped twice as a female. After some practice at home, I found out it was a male. I also had a big male that I could in no way pop. I let a friend have him and he came over and popped him without a problem. I think you need a perfect blend of experience and confidence to do it correctly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:14 am

The key to popping a ball python is in the roll. It is hard to describe, but easily demonstrated. You try to roll the thumb, like squeezing the toothpaste out of a tube towards the vent. It takes some practice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm

ah. okay. i might just try a few times on our male normal. hes only about 300 grams. should be easiest to try
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Im not comfortable with learning or trying right now so we just have a friend pop it for us. If we are at a show we find someone we know to pop it. If it's local we get someone to pop it for us. It scares me to even think of doing it because i dont want to hurt the snake.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Poping I believe is a talant, I can do it sometime it takes a few try's to get that roll right. Then I have a friend named Chris who can pop in the blink of a eye. Seems like he just picks them up and they just give up.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Need help sexing ball python   Need help sexing ball python EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 6:46 pm

yeah thats true. its kinda like water skiing.. looks easy. psshh takes a few tries!
Back to top Go down

Need help sexing ball python
Page 1 of 1