VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how to set up a dubia colony

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
shanna66
shanna66

how to set up a dubia colony Empty
PostSubject: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 3:42 pm

i have a leo, 2 cresties, rats who love having live food, and my crocodile skinks. i would love to start a roach colony and i have been told that dubias would be good though if anyone has another suggestion that would be great. just know that i refuse to keep roaches that fly and i would prefer something thats not an escape artist.

so what size enclosure would i need for a small colony? how fast do they breed? whats the best way to heat them and what temps do they need?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm

I use a big Rubbermaid type tub. Egg crates are on one side and a bowl for water gel on the other side. I cut out a big section of the top and glued a screen there to give it some air. Then I have a heat lamp draped over the side (I think it is a 40 watt - one of the low heat ceramic ones). I tape a cloth under several layers of foil where the heat lamp sits, so that the plastic on the tub does not get hot.

The heat element over the water gel gives off enough humidity to keep the roaches happy. I grind up cheap cat food, apples, oranges, bananas, etc for food. They multiply like crazy and I've always got extras.

If you google "dubia roach colony setup" and look at images, you will see several setups. The things you need are hides (egg crates), heat (element or heating pad), air flow (screen top), food and water source (garden water crystals). They are really easy to maintain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Dubias are awesome. I was spending a small fortune before getting them. I paid $40 a few months ago and haven't even put that much time in it. I feed them cat food, which I already have because of our cats, and fruits and veggies that are on the verge of going bad because we forgot they were in the fridge, lol. I don't actually buy anything for them and I haven't spent a dime on feeding my lizards since getting the dubias. No smell, no noise, easy to care for and breed like crazy...... They are the perfect food source. Smile
Back to top Go down
shanna66
shanna66

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 5:45 pm

would cheap dog food work too or is cat food better?
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't see the difference. Cat food is usually higher in protein and sometimes fat than adult dog food...... It's similar to most puppy food though. I sometimes use dog food, rat food or whatever else is closer, lol. Usually the cat food is smaller and softer, which makes it easier for me to crush it up.
Back to top Go down
shanna66
shanna66

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 am

ok so its fne if i use the same gutload as i use for my mealworm colony?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to set up a dubia colony   how to set up a dubia colony Empty

Back to top Go down

how to set up a dubia colony
Page 1 of 1