VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

12in³ terrarium build

Go down 
+3
smd58
Jabberwocky Dragons
Focal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

12in³ terrarium build Empty
PostSubject: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Here's the little terrarium I was building in the other thread. I found all the stuff around the house and yanked a couple of plants from my mothers garden. I was looking for an occupant and have decided on a smaller tarantula with a Green Bottle Blue in the finals Smile

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics (boycotting handheld cameras at the moment).

12in³ terrarium build B6d37b51

12in³ terrarium build 6393492b

12in³ terrarium build 54a3ae24

12in³ terrarium build 0904fd30

This is my first time, so if you see something that I could use a tip on, I am open to criticism. I can already tell I didn't give much space for the plants to grow into and additional lighting is in order.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 pm

That looks really cool... quite a neat show piece! You'll have to keep us updated on your final occupant decision!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Before you settle on a blue look at a avicularia versicolor. Stays small and the color from baby to adult in WOW.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Yay!!!! Bluebottle Green are beautiful, i wish I could have one! Also, I was looking at a Cobalt ornamental too, they have gorgeous coloring. Tank looks great!

Keep us updated Smile
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Iam sorry lokielani I hit the wroung side of the bar and made it red instead of green. I asked nick to fix it for me I am sorry
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm

There isn't a fix for it, I've looked into it Sad Others can add some green to make up for it though. I almost make that mistake daily on my cell lol!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm

It's cool, no biggy Smile The A. versicolor is really pretty too, it's so furry, you could almost think it was cuddly, is it a hair shooter?
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes they can but not known for doing it like others. I had three when I was doing spider. Again sorry for my fat fingers,
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm

smd58 wrote:
Iam sorry lokielani I hit the wroung side of the bar and made it red instead of green. I asked nick to fix it for me I am sorry

Way to go, lol
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Oh, awesome job on the cage btw
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 pm

ezekiel21 wrote:
smd58 wrote:

Way to go, lol
With the iPad you touch the wrong thing and away it goes. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 pm

smd58 wrote:
Yes they can but not known for doing it like others. I had three when I was doing spider. Again sorry for my fat fingers,

lol! it's ok really!!! I have horrible allergies, and I'm pretty much allergic to all mammals and some insects (roaches, lady bugs), but I would like a tarantula, it's just if they shoot, I don't really know how that effects people...
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

There was a story about a guy that had a hair in his eye. Messed him up for a while if I remember right. With me it's just the itchy.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 pm

[/quote]With the iPad you touch the wrong thing and away it goes. Evil or Very Mad [/quote]

I know what you mean..... I have to zoom in every time I click on something or I'll miss what I'm aiming for.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I get the copy all the time.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:52 pm

smd58 wrote:

I've added a little green to it! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Don wrote:
smd58 wrote:

I've added a little green to it! Twisted Evil

Me too! I beat you to it tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 am

smd58 wrote:
Before you settle on a blue look at a avicularia versicolor. Stays small and the color from baby to adult in WOW.

Yeah I just looked it up! Very nice!! Are they red as slings and then turn blue?

Do you know if they are social, as in, don't hide all day? I'm about to google it some more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

I had one that hide and the other did not. They were all aroubale and made cool nest in cork tubes, not really a holding kind and do better with humidey esplishely when molting.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Just one question, did you make a drainage layer for your tank? Cause with live plants, it will need one. Smile

I vote for versicolor. P.S. I have heard Cobalt Blues are wicked, and not in terms of color. Generally the prettier the spider, the nastier the temper...
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 am

It's kind of hard to see in this pic, but there's a little over an inch of the largest river rock I could find (I literally sifted and picked through a 50lb bad), about an inch of sphagnum moss of filtration, and several inches of fresh gardening soil. The rock doesn't look like much because I crammed extra moss on the sides of the tank so wet dirt didn't run down it. I was originally planning on a waterfall but I will be on the hunt for a larger one of these. Watching others online and taking notes on the wonderful things they have done, may have created a new permanent hobby.

12in³ terrarium build 688f5a90
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 pm

That's what I did for Sanford's tank and the plants loved it, they grew really well until he decided to dig them up Smile
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Looks great, Nick. Smile An inch is good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks Dagan!

I swear by it. If you have the extra loot and see a used one for cheap, jump on it! They are so much fun!! I bought a second hood ($5) for extra light and the plants are taking off. I still want a T to put in it but I am afraid he/she will dirty it lol. The plants have started taking off and are filling out and this was before I added the second hood. Temp and humidity is great. Ventilation for the drainage is great. Ok, shut it and post pic times. Not much improvement but some.

12in³ terrarium build D199f0f4

12in³ terrarium build 1ba46d90

12in³ terrarium build 0ef71564

12in³ terrarium build 26b7d0e5

Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm

The plants are looking great!!! There is a lady who used to be in my office who had a "pet" iggy named Edgar. He was forever a fourteen inch juvie. No feeding, no mess, no tail whips or bites Smile Of course he was fake, but a very realistic looking fake Smile
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Quote :
I still want a T to put in it but I am afraid he/she will dirty it lol.

Haha, it looks great! I've never had a T (so someone correct me if this wrong!) but I was told that they will actually spin a little silk "trashbag" for their waste and deposit it in a garbage dump type location... a very fastidious animal!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:26 pm

That would be neat. I could use more pets that clean up after themselves Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12in³ terrarium build   12in³ terrarium build Empty

Back to top Go down

12in³ terrarium build
Page 1 of 1