VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blue Tongue Skink Diet

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Blue Tongue Skink Diet Empty
PostSubject: Blue Tongue Skink Diet   Blue Tongue Skink Diet EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 3:08 am

I typed this out earlier this evening and thought I posted it, but apparently it has gotten lost in cyberspace. If it shows up, I apologize for duplicating it but I thought better to have it twice than not at all.

Babies should have a diet of mostly protein. That will be reduced and fruits and veggies increased as they get older. A BTS diet should consist of 60% vegetables, 30% protein, and 10% fruit. I mix all of the food together so they can't pick out the vegetables. Otherwise, they tend to go for the fruit and meat. Their meals are supplemented with calcium and vitamins. It doesn't matter if you use powder or liquid, but the powder is easier to use on insects.

BTS will train you to their feeding schedule. Babies should be fed once or twice a day. As they get older, they will want fewer bigger meals. I usually feed my adults a couple of times a week except when they are brumating. During that time, my male eats every 7 - 10 days. My female will only eat every 2 - 3 weeks. They also lose interest in fruits and vegetables and prefer to have more protein. Their appetites can be smaller too since they are sleeping most of the time.

BTS DIET

PROTEIN
Boiled chicken turkey or pork, raw or cooked hamburger, raw boiled or scrambled egg, boiled chicken liver (favorite food), dog food, super worms, pinky mice, rat pups, snails, and yes, they eat dubai roaches (make sure they are no bigger than the space between their eyes)

VEGETABLES
RAW: spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, red yellow and green peppers, egg plant, yellow and zuchini squash, peas

BLANCHED: carrots, sweet potatoes

FRUIT
apple sauce (no sugar), minced apples, grapes, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, all melon, bananas, peaches

My BTSs basically eat every day items I have in my refrigerator with a few exceptions. I do not feed starch, dairy, sugar, spices, food that comes from the ocean, or foods that produce gas. If you follow those simple guidelines, pretty much anything else is fair game.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Back to top Go down
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Blue Tongue Skink Diet   Blue Tongue Skink Diet EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 am

Ha ha. I was just reading over my post and realized I stated what 110% of a diet should consist of. What I meant to say was 10% fruit, not 20%.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Blue Tongue Skink Diet   Blue Tongue Skink Diet EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks for the write up on these guys. The more I see them, the more interesting they become. I might have to get one, one of these days. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Tongue Skink Diet   Blue Tongue Skink Diet Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Tongue Skink Diet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: