VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's

Go down 
+2
Focal
Cp3_Pythons
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  Empty
PostSubject: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:04 am

Has anyone owned or currently work with Dumeril Boa's and or BRB Boa's??
I've never really been a fan of Boa's but these two species Im interested in maybe aquiring over the next few months a pair of Dumerils and BRB's... I really like the coloring and looks of well both species Laughing
I do have a little exp with Columbian Boa's but none with the BRB's
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 am

I did BRB's for many years. They are definitely not a snake for racks and need a nice enclosure or something similar to maintain the humidity they are required. Of course they are boa's and it takes many years to get them up to size and I gave up right before they were ready to breed.... dang on BP addiction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

They have a class for that type of addiction Nick it's BPA ( Ball Python Anonymous ) Laughing Laughing

So tank's or something simular to boamaster cage's?? If I got into them I would only be getting one as a display animal as Im not looking to breed them... How's there temperment Nick? any advice you have to offer on them?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:06 pm

I wouldn't get a tank. They seem to be the worst for humidity.

Their temperment can be iffy. Most juveniles can be nippy, but few aren't. Adults can be pissy if they aren't handled much and are very strong for their size, not like balls. A 2000 gram BRB would kick a 2000g BP's tail! Laughing

Mildew and mold can be a problem and they need more maintenance than other species. The without a doubt need a humid hide and they will love to go #1 and #2 in it. It can mold up quick. They will have bad sheds and eye caps if humidity isn't maintained within range.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Hmmm It's a tough choice to decide I only want to add one or the other... Imma have to make a list and go from there.... Any Info on the Dumeril's Nick? or you haven't worked with them?
Back to top Go down
centralvirginiareptiles

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 am

I've worked with BRB's in the past and currently work with dumerills. BRB's are pretty easy to work with and can be rack kept if necessary. I housed my adults in 4' neodeshas but raised many to adulthood in racks. You need to keep the humidity high and provide a hide with moist sphagnum. They are kind of like white lips in that they can dehydrate easily if not kept humid enough. My females bred at 3 years and males at 2. I personally did not consider adults to be snappy and found them to be pleasant to handle.

Dumerills will require a larger enclosure when adult and are considerably thicker than BRB's. Juveniles can be raised in racks. Your best bet for breeding them is to house pairs together year round except during feeding. You can house a pair in a 6' x 2' enclosure comfortably. Temperament wise they are usually very laid back animals. Adults do have very strong feeding response so use caution when the smell of food is in the air. The downside to these guys is that neonates can be ridiculously hard to get feeding. Live rat pups have worked best for me to get them started. After they have fed 3-4 times they usually will make the switch over to F/T. Females will breed at 4-5 years of age and males at 2-3 years of age.
Back to top Go down
ladyserpent
ladyserpent

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm

I've kept BRBs for 5 yrs now... I did find a easier way to keep humidity in tanks by covering up the screen with duct tape. I cover the whole screen with duct tape, but the light area. I use flourescent light instead of heat light because of the heat lamp tend to be taking the humidity out of the tank real quick. Flourescent in the other hand, puts out some heat but not too much. So if you decide to use a tank, just duct tape it... less ventilation, more humidity. Spray the substrates down once a day and ur good. Plus, BRBs don't need as much heat as other boa species do. My tank stays at 83 F and 72/76 in humidity. The duct tape works wonders...LOL Good luck if u decide to get them. They are awesome, my fav by far!

Nick is right, Mold is a pain in the Arse... I have to spot clean and entirely clean the tank once a week.
Back to top Go down
forni7

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

I have a proven pair of dumerils. My female gave birth early this year and she wont be ready to bread until next year. Im looking for and adult to bread with my male if you know of one could you let me know thank you.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 pm

I have wanted a BRB forever! I have been to show after show and still haven't found one, I haven't looked at private breeders though. I have more of a chance of getting something at a show...my husband can't say no! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's    Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumeril Boa's & Brazilian Rainbow Boa's
Page 1 of 1