VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone Hunt?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:29 am

I've been wanting to learn to hunt for a while now. My grandfather is getting up in age and I don't think he really goes hunting anymore. He's the only one in my family that hunts but I can't remember the last time he actually went actively hunting. I want to start hunting so I can provide meat to my carnivorous animals (dog, cats, ferrets) as well as myself. (Though the only wild meat I've ever tried was venison jerky) I'm up for learning to hunt just about anything but I don't know where to begin. I know you have to take a safety course, but I have no idea where there would be one locally. When I did a google search I found one quite a ways from here. I'm wondering if there is one closer.

Also I've only ever shot a handgun and a bb gun. The handgun was in a gun range. So I would definitely need to get a license to have a gun and learn to shoot the darn thing. (though it was my first time shooting a real gun and I did come within an inch of the bullseye. Very Happy )

Just wondering if any hunters could give me some advice on where to start.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:55 am

I don't hunt, but this looks like a good place to start: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks. Hopefully I can find a education course not too far from me.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Join a hunt club. Those guys are like awesome little families from what I understand and the fees aren't too bad. They will show you spots, give you tips, and some have private plots of land just for members. This is what I was told when I inquired but the $$$ is too much for me to be interested in getting started. All my money goes to my legless hunters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm

You may also want to consider the NRA or a local gun store for firearm safety courses. They should offer several different types, fairly frequently throughout the year. Make sure you shop around too before purchasing your firearm. Gun stores are great to browse and ask questions (make sure you find a good one.. they are not all equal!). Shows are great if you know exactly what you are looking for and what it retails for (same as with reptiles!).

By the way, just want to clarify that you do not need a license to own a gun but you will most likely need a hunting license. A NRA safety course or CCL course should also go over what laws you need to be informed about and there are a lot!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
MADexotics
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
MADexotics

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 4:39 pm

I agree, local hunt clubs are usually the best way to go. I haven't been hunting in several years (all that money went into reptiles) but while I was actively hunting it was always with local groups and clubs. I don't know of any in the Richmond area but I'm sure the almighty google will help you turn some up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anyone Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Hunt?   Anyone Hunt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone Hunt?
Page 1 of 1