VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RI?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: RI?   RI? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey everyone,
I noticed 2 days ago that my baby ball python is making some squeaking noise every 30 seconds or so. Could this be a sign of a respiratory infection? She shed 4 days ago so I don't think it has anything to do with shedding.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 pm

I also read online that if the snake has any sort of foam or thick saliva in the mouth then it is most likely a RI. But my snakes mouth looks just like it normally would. Not very liquidy and not bone dry. Could it still be a RI?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am

Does your snake keep her mouth slighty open. Usually the sounds will be clicking type noises?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 4:50 pm

What are temperatures inside the snake's enclosure?

Sometimes a small piece of unshed skin will partially obstruct or interfere with the airflow in a nostril causing a strange sound.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Her mouth is always closed and the sound sounds like a very soft whistle. In the rack, the cool side is around 78 degrees and the hot side is around 88 degrees. I took some shed off of her nose a couple of days ago but she is still making the noise. I am making a vet appointment for Monday to get her checked out.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Wish you and the snake the best. Let us know what your vet discovers.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 11:09 pm

ok thanks.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

So I took my snake to the vet today and the vet said that as of now, she is not 100% sure if my snake has a respiratory infection. She said that my snake is not showing the symptoms but could get worse if she has a RI. The vet also said that I should have all of my snakes on newspaper instead of aspen sani-chips. Do you guys think that aspen is better?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 am

Aspen shouldn't be a problem, except it does tend to mold quickly if it gets damp.

You can try switching to paper in case the bedding is dusty - some brands are - and keep her warm side about 90*F and her humidity a touch higher than normal. If she's squeaking due to an RI that will help her fight it off, and if it's due to a bit of old/stuck shed in her nose the higher humidity will help soften it so she can get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Ok thanks. That is what I did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RI? Empty
PostSubject: Re: RI?   RI? Empty