VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asfs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what you all thought about african softed furred rats for my ball pythons. I have 2 that can be very picky eats. Would switching them over to asfs or just feeding them to my whole collection be a bad idea or what? Also, if anyone has any for sale somewhere near the Northern Virginia area let me know. Thanks
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 1:52 am

I keep ASF's rats and mice just incase. With that the majority of my collection is on ASF's and I have no issues. The two major factors for me were smell (they smell much less than rats) and size (they will not out grow your BP's). The reproduce very fast but do grow slower than a rat.

If you need some let me know I have a small surplus at the moment.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 11:10 am

Ok thanks. How big do the asfs get as adults?
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 am

I would say around the size of a hamster. They can get "wide" but not very long like a Norway rat. They are also the bp's natural diet. I'm a fan of them as you can see but some will argue different I'm sure. They can be agressive words you just as an fyi. Mine are tolerant of me and I don't have much of a problem but some have said theirs are down right agressive.
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am

Another pro is that once they get going they are very prolific.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Do you know if I would be able to get my snakes back on the normals rats I breed if I gave them an asf to get them eating again?
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 4:21 pm

I commonly go from asf's to rats and back based off of what I have a surplus in. Have had no issues so far doing this personally.
Back to top Go down
Don

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 pm

I have not had a problem switching back and forth, though some breeders tell me that they would never feed ASFs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 6:00 pm

I don't breed ASF but my supplier has them. I have a few BP's that are "stuck" on ASF, though the females will take a rat when they are building follicles; I guess hunger is a good motivator!

If/when they refuse I flip the ASF to a rat eater, and they seem to go back and forth without any problems. I do make sure that leftover ASF's get distributed among my other BP's so that they're not seeing an ASF every week for several months though.

Oh and my BCI's and BRB's will eat them too... but I haven't found anything they won't eat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Do you think it would be a bad idea to just feed all of my ball pythons ASF or not?
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Your going to get differing opinions on that. I for one think ASF's are a great choice. I base this off of the facts that they are very prolific, perfect size even as an adult and smell far less than a rat.

Arguments can be made for rats as well. How big is your collection?
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 am

I could be wrong on this, but aren't live ASFR's illegal in Va.? I could have sworn that the possession of most, if not all, live African rodents was prohibited. I'Ve always wanted a colony of Pygmy Mice, so I'd love to hear from anyone who knows the legal status without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 2:10 am

My understanding is that it is not enforced. Pet shops in Richmond actually sell them.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

neeckow123 wrote:
Do you think it would be a bad idea to just feed all of my ball pythons ASF or not?
I wouldn't do it regularly for any I planned to sell, as many buyers are wary of getting a BP that is stuck on ASF since they are hard to find in many areas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 11:18 am

Ok thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Asfs  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Asfs    Asfs  Empty