VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
attack_donut

My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating Empty
PostSubject: My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating   My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 am

This is a long post, so bear with me.
Last year, I rescued a pair of ball pythons who had been victims of long term abuse (if the owner was to be believed, they were bought as babies, and are now 12 years old) they have been fed once a month, each three small mice.
Needless to say they are undersized.
When I got them they were dark in colour, and listless, hiding constantly. Also only ate live mice.
I started them on pre-killed, moving up to medium rats once a week, or as they showed interest. They gained weight, added colour, showed interest in their surrounding.
But in the past month, both have stopped eating, or even showing interest in food. They roam, interact and otherwise behave as normal snakes, but food isn't anything they want.

I seem to recall, from the dim dark pasts of the 80s, that wild caught ball pythons entered into a state of semi dormancy during winter and stopped eating.
I am not concerned yet, but my gf is freaking out and driving me insane with her worries that they will starve to death any minute now.

So, help me out, is my memory correct, or should I keep trying food? I'm willing to go back to mice if I have to, but it's kind of a PITA dealing with live food again.
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

PostSubject: Re: My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating   My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 pm

This time of year is breeding season for balls. Its very normal for them to stop eating for a while. I usually offer once a week still but I dont really expect them to eat. Also they will not starve to death I have herd of a female ball adult who stopped eating for 8 months and lost only 100 grams if that. There really is no need to worry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
attack_donut

PostSubject: Re: My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating   My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Hmm, I had not thought about that, interesting option. Now I have to find a female for them...
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating   My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 10:45 pm

My adult male stopped eating last year about Halloween and re-started in April.

Get a kitchen scale, weigh them every few weeks, and make sure they're not losing too much. Most likely they are just boys being boys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating   My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating Empty

Back to top Go down

My 2 Ball Pythons stopped eating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: