VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Big black pine hatchling

Go down 
+2
Deedle
RalphMills
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

Big black pine hatchling Empty
PostSubject: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Six week old male
Big black pine hatchling 20141020_195402
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 12:00 am

Looks like a pretty good size for the age!
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm

That is a gorgeous animal right there!
I'd given thought to working with these beauties in the past, but the possible listing to ESA made me abandon the idea. I've been permitted for several species but it was always a headache, so didn't want to dive in to yet another permit process and paperwork.
What's the current requirements, if any, to keep them here in Virginia?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Nice. One of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks!! He is on large mice now already!! Great snake!!
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Nocturnalnature, no permits required in VA.
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks Ralph!
Your photo had me checking the classifieds last night LOL. As I said, the one thing that gives me pause is the high probability that they will be added to the ESA in the near future. This wouldn't hinder keeping animals that were already owned before being listed, or sales in Va., but interstate sales and acquisition of new breeder stock would require a CBW permit to legally comply. Easy to get by fillling out the forms, but I find the record keeping to be a pain in the butt.
Hmmm, looks like I have some contemplating to do.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 4:02 pm

I have heard talk of that as well on some of the sites I frequent but nothing has been decided yet. The main consensus I have heard is that doing so makes it easier to protect certain areas from development as opposed to actual concern over the species itself. Snakes seem to get very little real consideration as far as actual concern over their welfare.  It still surprises me that Northern Pines are not protected in VA, seeing as how there have been no documented sightings since 1989. Or at least none published.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Regarding N. pines in VA: As it stands now, there is nothing to "protect".

Not too long ago the DGIF concluded a multi-year survey that produced no pines. The VHS, DGIF, and a few other organizations have posted signs at most trailheads to continue the search for the N. pine, but so far nothing.

In West Virginia the only northern pine snake record is a DOR found in 1940 in Monroe Co.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 9:19 pm

That's a shame. Do you know what it usually takes to declare a species extirpated? Since it also seems that they are no longer found in the Commonwealth what would it take to make it legal for us to work with them in the hobby? Is there a contact that I could petition for that?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't know what criteria the DGIF uses to declare a species extirpated. I suspect time and lack of observations are significant factors.

Contact the DGIF for additional information.
Back to top Go down
Cjherps1
Cjherps1

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 pm

At first glance you'd almost think it was an indigo! Very cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big black pine hatchling   Big black pine hatchling Empty

Back to top Go down

Big black pine hatchling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: