VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Probe placement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Where's the best place for it in a rack? Top? Middle? Bottom? In a tub or out? If out, where? High or low? Close to the front or nearer to the back where the heat tape is?
Back to top Go down
Don

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I put it right on the heat strip if it is covered in metal (or very close to it if PVC) on a middle tub. Tape it well, then tape the cord leading up to it very very well, then tape it again. One of the most frequent reasons for loss of snakes is the probe becomes dislodged then the temps soar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 pm

I place it right on the heat tape towards the back so it doesn't collide with the tubs. I guess it depends somewhat on the placement of the tape. I do this for 11x12 flexwatt that comes from the rear.

I put it towards the middle shelf. Lower shelves seem to stay cooler and higher tubs hotter. I try to circulate the air as much as possible but there is still a gradient. I would use a ceiling/box fan in the room if you don't have one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 pm

When I put it on the tape it never seemed to get the temp in the tubs hot enough. Should I set the temps a few degrees above where I'd like it to be?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Yep. That's what I do. I will continually monitor the temps until I feel it's safe.
Back to top Go down
Don

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Absolutely, I have one rack where the thermostat says 105, but the hot spot is 89. If you have a rack, you really need a temperature gun to check the temperatures at all of the surfaces of your tubs. They are inexpensive and to me essential equipment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Focal X wrote:
Yep. That's what I do. I will continually monitor the temps until I feel it's safe.
Well crap. I probably need to raise my temps up then!

Don wrote:
Absolutely, I have one rack where the thermostat says 105, but the hot spot is 89. If you have a rack, you really need a temperature gun to check the temperatures at all of the surfaces of your tubs. They are inexpensive and to me essential equipment.
I guess I'll have to get one of those guns. I never bought in to it because I thought they just measured surface temps and not ambient temps.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:16 am

Rich Baker of Chesapeake Bay Ball Pythons makes a piece that holds the probe in place on the heat tape so you dont have to tape it, its pretty handy. We put it on the heat tape of the 2nd to last tub I believe. Our first rack the guy told us to put it in the tub and it ended up being a real Pain in the Butt. so Rich introduced us to his little invention and now we get them with dividers for the tubs when we get them from him.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 am

Chris. The only other thing I recommend with placing the probe on the heat tape, is to control temp fluctuations in the room. This will affect the final temp reading in the tub since the probe is on the heat tape. I keep my room at 80 and it helps with ambient fluctuations in the racks and enclosures.

Steph. Do you have any pics of this piece you mentioned? I'm curious and always looking for alternatives. I checked his website and didn't see it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:40 am

I will get a Pic tonight. It is really freaking awesome. He hasnt updated his site in FOREVER... and his dividers are really freaking awesome too. He makes all of this stuff at his warehouse thing at his personal house... he is genius. You should get in touch with him and go check out his stuff. It's a nice trip up the eastern shore and such but he and his wife are super awesome and always helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Probe placement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Probe placement   Probe placement Empty

Back to top Go down

Probe placement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: General Care Discussion-
Jump to: