VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Handling Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Ok hello all. I had a question about taming down two chinese water dragons. Both were born 6/18/13 and the breeder never really handled them. I try to handle them for short periods a day and let my little guy Spaz explore as he is generally good so far. He loves to jump out of my hand but has yet to puff up at me or any acts of aggression so far. He will also hang out on my shoulder or climb around and use me as a tree lol. My other guy, the bigger of the two named Moose, (My gf named him lmao) will always jump out of my hand and run and hide as well as puff up at me when I pick him up. I try not to handle him so much right now as I am giving him meds for a suspected MBD and pedialyte baths for dehydration. He hasn't given me a stool (at least from what Im aware of) and barely eats. He just recently finished shedding as well and I did take him to the vet. He also is almost always hiding when I am home. Not sure if it is a medical issue or just his stress (terranium is setup with 90 dehree basking and a gradient heat from 88 to 84 with 60 plus humidity). I want to get him relaxed to not hide while I am home and less jumpy and less hiding when I take him out. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
TinatheTegu
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
TinatheTegu

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 2:46 pm

I would suggest leaving him alone until his health issues have been resolved for the most part, then begin to ease into handling him. Sounds to me like he's "uncomfortable/scared/nervous,etc." Could be a new place, could be his health, handling, etc.

What are you feeding him currently?? And what did the vet diagnose for him??

IMO after the health issues lessen and he becomes more aware of you and your nonviolent intentions, he should be fine. An increase in humidity wouldn't hurt neither. With water dragons, the higher the humidity the better.  Very Happy 
Definitely make sure he gets his calcium supplement, maybe even a little more than normal for now.
(iF POSSIBLE) Try to put a large enough water dish to where he can fully submerge himself, but still stand and have his head above water. warm water will help with his digestion.

Not questioning intelligence of water dragons at all, but theres an excellent health care sheet on them. I want to say its called Tricia's water dragon care sheet.
Back to top Go down
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Thank you. Currently I have a 1 to 2g water dish in there. I have read that site numerous times. I should be able to recite it Razz ive had him anout 3 weeks now and the vet didnt really give him a diagnosis. He didnt pass a stool so no stool exam was done. Couldnt find a stool in their cage either. She gave me a neocalc stuff so ive been giving it to him orally but after getting home I suspected he was dehydrated due to his skin tenting up and not relaxing. Though Moose has started to regain color, be more active, and his skin doesnt tent anymore. His health is definatly improving!
Currently I am feeding mealworms and crickets. Waiting on my dubia supplier to set me up with a starter colony. If he doesnt come through by thursday I will be ordering some. Suggestions on place to order? Moose did chomp up a superworm when I offered it ro him.
Back to top Go down
TinatheTegu
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
TinatheTegu

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Just the fact that he is eating and taking the calcium supplement sounds good. I would continue to give him the stuff the vet gave him until you think hes "back to normal" and start to wean him into the powders. Id give him a little more of the calcium with D3 than suggested, but still switch back and forth from D3 to no D3. This will help get his metabolism going. Your definitely on the right track with the roaches due to more protein and calcium, however i don't know anywhere to order from. I do know that some people on here breed them but that's about it. I used to but recently had to stop  Angry. Sorry about that, but keep us posted on him. Id love to here that he ends up happy and healthy.
Back to top Go down
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 pm

I will! Ya i just gave him some neocal and he didnt puff up or even squirm. Which is a first with him. Still a tad dehydrated but definatly doing better.im in Nova got a guy but its been over a week since he has been able to come through lol. I cant seem to find any others in the Loudoun County area. Closest I find is baltimore and I dont feel like driving 2 hours to get roaches. If you are looking bacm into getting roaches Dubiadeli.com is the cheapest Ive found and shipping is all incorporated in the prices. I will do that with the powder thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
TinatheTegu
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
TinatheTegu

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 3:49 pm

No worries, always willing to help, and i don't blame you on the unnecessarily long food trip.  lol!. Good luck with everything and enjoy them, they will make to be great pets. 
Back to top Go down
WithoutPride
Established Member
Established Member
WithoutPride

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Handling Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handling Question   Handling Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Handling Question
Page 1 of 1