VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible sick corn snake

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
phyllis63

Possible sick corn snake Empty
PostSubject: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:41 am

I have had two of my corn snakes for about 14 years. A male and a female in a 55 gallon tank. They have always been together in this tank. They have a large hide and a large wather bowl that they like to hid under. It has a 100 watt bulb for heat and there are a few deco items that they can use as shed aides. For the last few months, the male has suddenly started to regurgitate the majority of what he eats. I downsized what he was eating (they both are very large and were eating small rats). I now give adult mice. If I give him one mouse, he keeps it down about half the time. If I give him two mice, I can guarantee that at least one, if not both, come back up. He otherwise is acting normal. He is active, friendly, has shed recently and still loves to be handled but he has lost weight and I am afraid I am going to lose him. Any ideas as to what may be going on with him??? BTW-no mites or other parasites.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello welcome to vaherps and first let me say thats excellent youve had them 14 years.

First things first, seperate them, if you havent already. Clean/sanitize anywhere the male has been.

Next take him to the vet, being an on going issue.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 2:09 pm

When my juvenile boa had regurge issues over the summer I found the advice here helped greatly in getting her back on track:
http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases

As Deedle noted it's imperative that you separate your two snakes. If the male is sick you don't want the female exposed to the pathogen - though if it's been a few months that damage is probably already done. OTOH if the female is simply taking the lion's share of the heat, so the male has little or no access to the warmth he needs for digestion, then separating them and giving the male appropriate heat will solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Typically after a regurgitation it is best to wait a few weeks before offering food again. This allows the gut flora time to return to normal. If the snake is producing stool, is it runny water-like or firm and solid? Runny stool can be a sign of parasites. Parasites like cryptosporidium can be difficult to detect, even if present. I agree separate the snakes and visit the vet if the snake continues to regurgitate.
Back to top Go down
phyllis63

PostSubject: Re: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks for the replies. The two snakes have not been anywhere to have picked up something from outside our home environment. They have been together for the full 14 years. I was advised once to separate them and they become highly stressed when I do that, especially the female. After the regurgitation, I do wait a period of time before feeding again. Stools are totally normal for them. I am going to try feeding him just one mouse, every 7 days for a bit to see how he does. I will update further if there is a change. I am getting the feeling it may just be age catching up with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible sick corn snake   Possible sick corn snake Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible sick corn snake
Page 1 of 1