VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anyone help me???

Go down 
+3
smd58
Ginvbch
DrummerChick
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DrummerChick

Can anyone help me??? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Howdy, I'm new to the forum but not so new to reptiles. But I do need some help. I recently adopted a year and a half old motley corn snake and I'm curious if she really is that young because she seems pretty big. I also think her previous owners overfed her. One more thing, I can't figure out her colors. She's absolutely gorgeous, yellow around the jaw and near the belly with bright orange and red. She's stunning! So I really don't care either way but if I do end up breeding her, I'd love to know her genetics. All of my other snakes I've had since they were hatchlings. Any help or insight would be awesome, thank you so much!!

https://s791.photobucket.com/user/audrummer09/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20130927_103722_zps5dbf0f82.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Lindsey
Chesapeake, Va
Back to top Go down
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Ginvbch

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome Lindsey! That's pretty one ya got there! I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Welcome, can't tell from the picture. Is the belly white.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
DrummerChick

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome Smile yes, her belly is completely white.
Back to top Go down
DrummerChick

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:26 pm

I've added more pictures of her to my photobucket.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 pm

It looks about the right size to me for a yearling. I'm no expert in corn morphs, but I'm only seeing a motley. She is pretty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 2:26 am

Welcome!

Looks like a blood red motley to me, and no she's not over ex at all. It's propably just the fact that females are always bigger than males..
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
DrummerChick

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm looking forward to getting more involved on this forum!
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 am

Normal motley corn and with the motley gene I wouldn't be surprised if she was het for amel or something else also. I've seen and had bigger than that at the same age so no worries she looks fine to me and with colubrids males tend to average larger than females anyway. Just curious, how do you know its a female?
Back to top Go down
DrummerChick

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks Ralph! Since I acquired her when she was already too old to sex (I don't have any probes, just know how to sex hatchlings) I'm trusting that her previous owners knew for sure. I had to go off of what they told me which was only that she was a motley female, about a year and a half old. But from what I've learned, females are thicker/wider right before the vent and she is. I really hope she's a female though because I'm trying to find a hatchling/young okeetee or miami male to raise and breed with her in a few years.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:31 pm

It can be hard to tell just by that alone. Although if the breeder is trustworthy then it probably is a female.
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm

RalphMills wrote:
I've seen and had bigger than that at the same age so no worries she looks fine to me and with colubrids males tend to average larger than females anyway. Just curious, how do you know its a female?
I'm fairly new in the cornsnake world but as far as i can see on my corns, the females are bigger...
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Hey Marco!! There can be some good sized females out there but colubrids are the reverse of boids when it comes to that although the difference may not be as noticeable. It can also depend on geographic locality from where the corns genetics came from. Corns from around the Miami, Fl area only average about 3 ft in length where as those from Jasper County,  SC can average closer to 5ft. So even though the males are larger than the females from each geographic region if you place a Jasper County female next to a Miami male then chances are good the female will be larger assuming both are about the same age and full grown.
BTW, those kings I got from you are doing great!! The dark female got lots of likes and comments from the other forums I frequent.
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:06 am

They both are gorgeous Ralph and i'm glad you're happy with them. They are pretty big too. I didn't realize how big brooks kings get and am looking forward to holding my new england axanthics once they are fully grown.

As i said, i am new when it comes to colubrids in general, not only corns or cal kings. Everything i state/stated is from what i experience within my own collection as of right now..
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am

Totally understand that Marco!! And if I have any questions about my young balls then I know where to come! Take care!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me???   Can anyone help me??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help me???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Welcome to VaHerps! :: Welcomes and Introductions-
Jump to: