VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VA Copperhead Article

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

VA Copperhead Article Empty
PostSubject: VA Copperhead Article   VA Copperhead Article EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 am

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: VA Copperhead Article   VA Copperhead Article EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Great article. I would think with the weather this year, they wouldn't be out as much, although it could drive them to sunbathe more?

Curious, they said a milksnake can be confused for a copperhead. Is this true? I know anything can be mistaken for something else, but when I think of a milksnake, I don't think they look anything like a copperhead. Is there a type that does look similar?

They are definitely the most beautiful native snake IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VA Copperhead Article   VA Copperhead Article EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 am

Nick, I think you're probably correct. With the cooler than normal temperatures the snakes are probably basking more frequently and for longer periods of time.

It's surprising the species that get misidentified as copperheads. We've had boas, ring-necked snakes, toy snakes, lizards and tree roots reported as "copperheads". This is a page the VHS created to help point-out the differences:

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/venomous-look-a-likes/copperhead-look-a-likes/copperhead.htm

and you can test your skills here:

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/venomous-look-a-likes/copperhead-look-a-likes/copperheadtest/copperhead-test.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VA Copperhead Article   VA Copperhead Article Empty

Back to top Go down

VA Copperhead Article
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: VHS Conservation and Education News-
Jump to: