VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cresties!

Go down 
+2
TheRealYoda34
Southern_Comfort_Reptiles
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am

So I may start to branch out into cresties just for fun.
Prob not for a month or 2 considering I still need to do plenty of research!

But speaking of research, for all your crested fans out there, can I get some links to good information on these awesome lookin guys?

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

Last edited by Southern_Comfort_Reptiles on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 am

You have came to the darkside now! Once you start you can't stop with these awesome little geckos
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

Oh I know!
I was offered a bunch of beautiful cresties in exchange for the black pastel but unfortunetaly they were all new born hatchlings. And of course... Im extremely impatient and dont wanna wait forever for them to get up to breeding size hahaha
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

Indeed, welcome to the crested side! Hahaha. Here's just a couple of links that I was able to re-find from when I was researching cresteds. The second one (www.geckosintails.com) I found extremely informative - it includes some common health issues, care measures, and directions on a gecko "sauna". I had found several more before, but most of the tips were repeated with slight differences; these two are a good place to start.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

http://www.geckosintails.com/crested-gecko-caresheet.html
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Pangea has good info about cresties. And welcome to the crested side lol. I have an adult male if you're interested. Lol
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Let me give you a fair warning. Cresteds are awesome no doubt! However since they are so easy to keep, breed and they are in every pet store known to mankind. Everyone has them and everyone wants to breed them for whatever reason (most for the wrong reasons). Point being is that there is a huge over saturated market for these guys and unless you have top of the line rare morphs and new morphs you will have a very hard time selling them. Having juvies that you produced and cannot sell takes a lot of time, money and space up that you may not have intended to happen.

... not bashing you but I hate to see people buy animals just to breed them and to hopefully make money...yes I love to have some extra money coming in, but I have my reptiles because I love to study them and have them as pets, I just don't buy something in hopes to make money. I keep reptiles because its a passion and hobby of mine and have been doing it for 14 years.

Also,
Props to you for doing your research first. Again they are very cool geckos, and I am sure you would enjoy them. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Unfortunately a lot of people think that breeding animals and reptiles is a quick way to make money and don't take the time to truly care for the animals. Granted, there are a good amount of people who do just the opposite which is good and I wish there were more.

I believe that if you are going to buy an animal, you should understand and have the want to care for that particular animal the rest of their lives. If you have any doubts in that, then I wouldn't get them.

Again, I am not bashing you or anyone else, rather trying to open your eyes to everything going on.

I have been just as guilty impulse buying and hoping to make good money and it never happens and then I really wonder why I bought something and have no desire to care for it anymore. Now my mindset is only to,buy certain species that I have a true desire and liking for and that I have done as much research that I can possibly do. Then after researching the species I reevaluate if this is something I would really like to have and is it something that I would like to keep for the long run. If I do decide to breed something, I think about the amount of space the hatchlings take up plus time and money. Then if I am not able to sell them, am I able to care for all of them correctly.

Sorry for rambling on but I see too many new reptile fans (not saying you are) get the big eye and get themselves into a bind because of impulse buying and hoping to make big money.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Docwade87 wrote:
Let me give you a fair warning. Cresteds are awesome no doubt! However since they are so easy to keep, breed and they are in every pet store known to mankind. Everyone has them and everyone wants to breed them for whatever reason (most for the wrong reasons). Point being is that there is a huge over saturated market for these guys and unless you have top of the line rare morphs and new morphs you will have a very hard time selling them. Having juvies that you produced and cannot sell takes a lot of time, money and space up that you may not have intended to happen.

... not bashing you but I hate to see people buy animals just to breed them and to hopefully make money...yes I love to have some extra money coming in, but I have my reptiles because I love to study them and have them as pets, I just don't buy something in hopes to make money. I keep reptiles because its a passion and hobby of mine and have been doing it for 14 years.

Also,
Props to you for doing your research first. Again they are very cool geckos, and I am sure you would enjoy them. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Unfortunately a lot of people think that breeding animals and reptiles is a quick way to make money and don't take the time to truly care for the animals. Granted, there are a good amount of people who do just the opposite which is good and I wish there were more.

I believe that if you are going to buy an animal, you should understand and have the want to care for that particular animal the rest of their lives. If you have any doubts in that, then I wouldn't get them.

Again, I am not bashing you or anyone else, rather trying to open your eyes to everything going on.

I have been just as guilty impulse buying and hoping to make good money and it never happens and then I really wonder why I bought something and have no desire to care for it anymore. Now my mindset is only to,buy certain species that I have a true desire and liking for and that I have done as much research that I can possibly do. Then after researching the species I reevaluate if this is something I would really like to have and is it something that I would like to keep for the long run. If I do decide to breed something, I think about the amount of space the hatchlings take up plus time and money. Then if I am not able to sell them, am I able to care for all of them correctly.

Sorry for rambling on but I see too many new reptile fans (not saying you are) get the big eye and get themselves into a bind because of impulse buying and hoping to make big money.
I appreciate your feedback! And thank you!
N with cresties I am def not in it to make money.
I have my feeders and high end ball pythons (bananas, GHI's, orange dream's, etc) for that Very Happy N even though I make pretty good money from them, I still keep them as a passion.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Glad to hear that!

I wasn't trying to bash you but rather give everyone something to think about before they go impulse buy.

I see way too many people jump feet first into the hobby and buy all these reptiles expecting to breed and make money and then two weeks later decide that they can't and don't know how to care for them and they don't like them...now they are stuck trying to get rid of these poor animals. Unfortunately a lot of the time, these animals end up in the wrong hands and cause us more issues with the local and federal government.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Docwade87 wrote:
Glad to hear that!

I wasn't trying to bash you but rather give everyone something to think about before they go impulse buy.

I see way too many people jump feet first into the hobby and buy all these reptiles expecting to breed and make money and then two weeks later decide that they can't and don't know how to care for them and they don't like them...now they are stuck trying to get rid of these poor animals. Unfortunately a lot of the time, these animals end up in the wrong hands and cause us more issues with the local and federal government.
I agree 100% n hate seeing it happen.
Thank you though, still, for offering your suggestions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Always good to see & hear things from a realistic perspective. It's always a shame when people just have $$$ in their eyes, since that usually means that is THE end goal for them instead of the care and love for their pets. Just look at the current social stigmata that pit bulls are suffering, just because a bunch of dumbasses thought it'd be a good idea to groom this species into a powerful fighting animal... I'd better stop now while i'm ahead...
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Rhuwme wrote:
Always good to see & hear things from a realistic perspective.  It's always a shame when people just have $$$ in their eyes, since that usually means that is THE end goal for them instead of the care and love for their pets.  Just look at the current social stigmata that pit bulls are suffering, just because a bunch of dumbasses thought it'd be a good idea to groom this species into a powerful fighting animal... I'd better stop now while i'm ahead...
Amen. The sad part is 90% of the people are in it for the money. I've talked to a lot of people in forums and fb groups and its all about the $$$.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm

To answer your original question about care, any basic husbandry info you find on breeders websites is all going to be about the same and is good info. If you want to go in depth on their husbandry past their basic care, I can give you two books that our outstanding and written by the original Gus who first imported these gecko species into the us. I will get you that info with pics of the books when I get home.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Who are some great creative breeders that y'all know of?
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Local or top of the line? Acreptiles,creepyexotics barb gebert, eyelash exotics.← find them on fb. I'm just a local small time breeder lol. Oh and exoticleecrested. Shes local and has some killer babies available.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:33 pm

All this talk about cresties and no pics Razz 
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Focal wrote:
I'd post some but apparently the host it window freezes my phone. Ha.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Focal wrote:
Lol I don't have any yet! :'(
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Alright y'all,
You know Im filling my head with information right now.

Ive been reading up on genetics and I came across this picture...
http://www.theurbangecko.com/sale/harlequin-pinstripe-dalmatian

I don't see the Dalmatian in it? scratch 
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Looks more like a phantom pinner. And I don't see any dal spots unless its on another side??
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 pm

californiadreamin wrote:
Looks more like a phantom pinner. And I don't see any dal spots unless its on another side??
iagree 
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Heres another one. Id love to pick this guy up.
Id classify him as a Dalmatian too.

http://www.theurbangecko.com/sale/tri-colored
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Nice creamy back. Small head though. Awesome colors. I'm working on my tricoloreds right now
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 pm

I like both of them, def no spots noticeable on the first... I would take both though, they are both pretty cresties
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Dear baby jesus, please allow me to stop being so addicted and fascinated by every and all types of reptiles/amphibians.

Please and thank you,
Ryan Razz
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Cresties! 20130802_224419_zpsa5636732
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm

californiadreamin wrote:
Cresties! 20130802_224419_zpsa5636732
Oh my, what the @#)$@#)$&@#$
That is absolutely gorgeous!
Did you produce that or buy it?
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Gah stop feeding my curiosity/addiction with pictures like that! Facepalm 
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:24 pm

We got pictures cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Cresties! 20130804_141433_RichtoneHDR_zps32a3a86b

This girl is waiting on a redharley pinner male.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Did you produce the one in the picture I quoted?
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:35 pm

That yellow is beautiful
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Sorry. Yes I did .I only have her mom though as the male was a breeder loan. Pairing was orange chocolate extreme x yellow orange extreme.
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 8:12 pm

If I could figure out how to friggin' access the pictures I've uploaded before I'd put up a couple of mine

EDIT:
Cresties! 20130637
guess you have to cheat a little...

Last edited by Rhuwme on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Man I want that yellow one lol
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Cresties! 28

ok, i have no idea how to put a picture on here that is already being hosted Mad 

Last edited by Rhuwme on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Cresties! 20130804_135817_RichtoneHDR_zps645afa91

One of my future breeders. Shes nice and plump at 45grams.
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Okay Im gonna take a total guess at what you would categorize her as without looking at morphs online to see if Ive learned anything today....

Harlequin?
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

She was sold to me as a tri when she was 5grams. But she turned out to be a super creamy harley .
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

And by "super creamy harley"... that can translate to a "really creamy" or creamsicle harlequin?
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 pm

I wouldnt say creamsicle. I wish haha. Just a creamy harley. Lol
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Lol what do you mean by "creamy"?
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:44 pm

the tannish/beige-ish color is considered cream
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Yes! Took the words right out of my mouth. I've had people on fb groups say she looks like a blonde harley. Butni don't think she does.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 pm

she looks like the coloring of cresties that i like
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Ohhhhh okay! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 pm

good looking cresteds everyone!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here....been super busy.

The books I was referring to are the two Rhacodactylus books. The first Rhacodactylus book by Phillipe de Vosjoli, Frank Fast and Allen Repashy is hard to find and if you do it can cost $100s. The second book that came out a couple years ago in 2011 is also called Rhacodactylus and is written by Robert Seipp and Friederich Wilhelm Henkel. Hope this helps, these two books are as good as it gets to real info on the Rhacodactylus genus even though a lot of the original Rhacodactylus species have now been reclassified within the past year. The books are very in depth and refer a lot to the studies that were done on the species in their native habitats on the island of New Caledonia. All the authors were some of the original people to bring cresteds and any other rhacodactylus into the US and into the captive reptile community.

If any of y'all are interested in cresteds, I have quite a few still up for sale on my facebook website and need them moved out if possible before it gets too cold to ship. Check them out and let me know if you have any questions!
Back to top Go down
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

I think I've decided that I'm going to work on pinstripe projects first
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
californiadreamin

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 pm

I just got rid of a male 100% pinner.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I have my female yellow super dal paired up with my brown and yellow flame... Im hoping for his pattern and base color her bright yellow back and spots... But that would just be an ideal outcome lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cresties! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresties!   Cresties! Empty

Back to top Go down

Cresties!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next