VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Custom enclosure items

Go down 
+2
Class43
Rhuwme
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

Custom enclosure items Empty
PostSubject: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 2:44 pm

I know many people have custom-built enclosures, racks, tanks, etc. but i was wondering if anyone has built any home-/hand-made items for their reptiles?  I was thinking of fabricating a ledge for my exoterra using magnets, heavy cardboard, and not sure what else.  What have you created for your dear ones using everyday household items?
Back to top Go down
Class43
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Class43

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Max Horsley can definitely help you out. Send him a PM.
Back to top Go down
slocavi

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:52 pm

I have two iguanas and was wondering if anyone knew of a decent enclosure layout for two separate habitats. They are not caged together at the moment and don't know how well they will be together being as one is tank aggressive.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 am

....GREAT STUFF insulating foam is pretty awesome--you canget it at Home Depot or even Lowes or Wal Mart....I use a cardboard box and kinda spray it-goop it into a corner and "semi" form the shape i'm looking for.once it expands and is dry and cured (24hrs) you can take a knife and kinda of shape it-then 40 grit sand paper to clean up the shape----after that you can paint it or airbrush it to look like rocks,ledges, we made a bunch of diff rocks and ledges and stalactite thingies for a future CAVE beardie enclosure(you can even Foam form around water and food dishes to get really "customhomesy"--a way to get good original ideas is to walk around places like Michaels or Home Depot....ideas wuill just come to you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Rhuwme

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 am

I've got an unopened can of Great Stuff from when I had a house.  That's actually a really good starting point - my brain is already doing a pre-construction of a ledge for the tank:

shaped cardboard with a side folded down, 3-5 round magnets taped in place; Great Stuff the whole piece lightly (since it expands like a champ, hehe!); cut and sanded like you said when cured; another cardboard/magnet set for the outside of the tank so that the ledge can be placed where desired...woo hoo!

I haven't found a magnetic ledge anywhere else, and even if I were it'd probably be less expensive to create my own.  And I could probably use Great Stuff with cardboard tubes to create little caves.  Max, do you know off the top of your head how well Great Stuff can retain humidity?
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 am

Once it's cured I believe it's completely waterproof---Wink
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:18 am

....I actually get excited thinking about the special enclosure we're gonna use all my Foam Fixtures and backings in. Cindy wants to make it look as if you're inside a cave looking out.
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 am

For those of you who have never seen this site, I suggest it.

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/

Very cool! Very inspirational for me when building stuff.
Back to top Go down
kpphilpot

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 am

I am in the process of making my first specialized habitat for my dart frogs. I started with an older printer cabinet. You can see where I have cut up small foam pieces and built up different forms. The middle part will be a small water feature. The next step will be to cover with several layers of thin grout, then paint and cover with sealant.

Custom enclosure items <a href=Custom enclosure items Beginn10" />
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 3:08 pm

looking pretty cool...great concept
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom enclosure items   Custom enclosure items Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom enclosure items
Page 1 of 1