VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for American Toads around Richmond.

Go down 
+6
TheRealYoda34
jw
Focal
DaganGecko
MADKATTER
Running_Elk
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

Looking for American Toads around Richmond. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri May 31, 2013 5:03 am

Looking for Anaxyrus americanus, or Bufo americanus, around Richmond. Has anyone seen any around? I'd like to find some in the field.
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri May 31, 2013 9:19 am

Is this the toad you are looking for?

[img]Looking for American Toads around Richmond. American-Toad--58222_zps7d7bca49[/img]

Murica!!
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Bahahaha, Madkatter.

American toads are easily found. I live in the Amherst/Lynchburg area of VA. Many of these toads come out at night. I have seen some huge ones, too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I WISH I could get a toad that looked like that. Smile LOL!

Dagan, you are sure they're American toads? Because if you're sure they're not Fowlers toads I will make a trip to Amherst/Lynchburg to find them. I know they're here in Richmond but all I ever find is Fowlers. Are there any particularly good places I can look? A state park or specific area of land? I want to find a big one! :3 Have you seen any of late? Thanks for the reply!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 10:03 pm

You know what, I'm not sure, but when I get to VA (I am currently in TN), I am going to catch some, photograph them, and post them for you to ID!
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks so much! What a kind gesture! Very Happy Take pictures top and bottom -- the Fowlers have a slightly different underside then the Americans. And again, thanks!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 pm

This should also be helpful in telling A. americanus from A. fowleri
http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/identification-keys/id-keys-frogs/Anaxyrus-Bufo.html
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm not sure whether they are American or fowlers but I have a pair at the house if your interested...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Yoda, you actually (apparently) don't have americanus in your area. But you DO have Anaxyrus terrestris, something not in my range.

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/amphibians/frogsandtoads/frogs_and_toads_of_virginia.htm

Do they look like Anaxyrus terrestris to you? If they are, I would LOVE to come by in the next couple weeks, as I also need to to find an Oak Toad, which is further west from VA, Beach but no too far away.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
sic_anger

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I follow Sean's facebook page Z's reptile house and i think his are Anaxyrus fowleri
I'll let him speak for him self tho and share a pic maybe
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Not a great pic but here is one of them... I'm horrible with the classification, I thought they were fowlers toads but who knows lol...

Looking for American Toads around Richmond. Imag1510
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Also thanks for the plug Andrew lol
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 am

It looks like a fowlers (but it can be hard to tell!). Are you tying to rehome them, though? How big are they? I will actually be in VA beach this weekend maybe, coincidentally enough.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:30 am

I'm not trying to rehome them but I would consider it lol, pm me and we can talk more
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 am

....ummm, they are all over my place here at night...No Suffolk-been giving them to my Pixie frog. He uhhhh likes the company....I could collect some up if you want
Back to top Go down
Class43
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Class43

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 am

maxhorsley wrote:
....ummm, they are all over my place here at night...No Suffolk-been giving them to my Pixie frog. He uhhhh likes the company....I could collect some up if you want
cryingwithlaughter cryingwithlaughter cryingwithlaughter
He doesn't like his house guests. Maybe you need to teach him hospitality manners
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

lmao Nelson...shhhhhhhh Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Class43
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Class43

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am

Lol oops Cool
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:25 am

Max, are they American toads? Or southern or oak? Just not Fowlers, lol!
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 am

have 3 right now...will post a pic...not an expert at all-but look to be american
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am

MaxHorsley's Toads album on Photobucket
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am

...I'm calling American from the markings on the head Wink
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 pm

In Suffolk there is frequent hybridization between americanus, fowleri and terrestris. A clear photo of the throat and chest may be helpful as would clear shots of the tibia. The toads pictured are not oak toads (A. quercicus) however they are found in Suffolk.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

MaxHorsley's Toads album on Photobucket
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 pm

updated with more pics...there is 4 of them now and i'm sure more to come as they just cruise into the shop and i'll be out there...808-772-7989
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 am

....have a few now...lol
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 5:34 am

Sorry Max, I lost track of this post! ^^;; 

For those of you who commented, tonight my boyfriend (coincidentally also a Max) and I went out to Rockwood Nature Center in Chesterfield, in the rain and at night, and found a plethora of healthy female B. americanus and B. Americanus x B. fowleri hybrids, just out soaking up the rain! I'm so happy. I haven't seen toads this big in years. I still want a B. americanus male, though.

Now to track down the Southern and the Oak. Max Horsley, are there southern toads in Suffolk? I wish I had seen your posts earlier. 

Off topic, but are you a Maximilian Horsley or just a Max? Smile
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 am

I'm a Maxwell-and my son is Maxim. Very Happy....I really don't know enough about them to know the difference for sure. Around here at night or when it rains they just cruise into my shop ---last night there was a really colorful one running around the shop eating bugs(i'm stuck w the door open as a bird decided to nest and have babies in my cubbies)...if I see him again i'll take a pic as it was different and larger than what i usually see around here:scratch:
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/hwhiteman/Field/amphibians/easternspadefoottoad.html

It wasn't a spadefoot, was it? Also, was is small? Maybe an oak toad?

Also, isn't Suffolk near Isle of Wight? Isle of Wight is a place not too too far from me with all four (Bufo) toad types.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm

wasn't a spadefoot...those are in our front ditch in the ever standing water...lol---they are so fast to jump into the water i cant catch one yet:scratch:
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 pm

...the toads around here just cruise right up to you at night...2 different types i can tell for sure--oh, and the tree frog types have been coming into the shop lately also
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 pm

there was a really small Brighter toad by our back door yesterday just chillin...i'll get a pic if i see it again
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 am

Your house sounds like a wonderful place to herp...you're making me super jealous! I wanted to find some tree frogs too. Arg. Richmond is so crappy for herping.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
maxhorsley

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 am

LOL.....THERE'S 3 IN THE GARAGE RIGHT NOW...Laughing
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I see spadefoots, tree frogs, and toads, and marbled salamanders all the time. And a lot of narrow mouth toads
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 am

In Gloucester? I go out there sometimes, on the way to Mathews...
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

yup I see all those in my yard
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

o_o I want a spadefoot. And a salamander too...I NEVER see those, either.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I watch the salamander march every year. Thousands of them migrate to go breed. All triggered by pheromones in the air
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm

They are like zombie salamanders lol! 
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:57 pm

That's so cool. I know about that...but what time of the year is it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for American Toads around Richmond.   Looking for American Toads around Richmond. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for American Toads around Richmond.
Page 1 of 1