VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Butterworms

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kev4270
kev4270

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Butterworms   Butterworms EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 am

Hello everyone, I purchased some butter worms from the reptile expo in Richmond, just to try them out. I have a baby blazing blizzard leo that wouldn't even attempt to catch a cricket. He would look at the mealworms but would not eat them. When I gave him the butter worm, he went crazy for it. I'm thinking of using these as his staple diet while he's still a baby, then slowly ween him off for the crickets. The question is does anyone know of anywhere to get them in VA? I've searched the net and all the sites i've seen said there is a shortage. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterworms   Butterworms EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 am

I wouldn't recommend using worms as a the primary food source, it's really not the best for the leo. Try dubias, they usually always elicit an instant feeding response.

I could be mistaken but I believe butterworms are unable to be bred inside the united states, all are imported sterile, so there's not as many sellers and they can be $.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
TheRealYoda34

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterworms   Butterworms EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

I use dubia and meal worms for my Leos... They seem to love both and both are very easy to breed and sustain a colony... Also did I mention cheap lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Don

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterworms   Butterworms EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

Brian, you are correct. I was researching butterworms and found that they are all imported and are irradiated to cause sterilization.

Dubias are very easy and cheap to breed. I would also recommend getting a small colony and raising your own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
kev4270
kev4270

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterworms   Butterworms EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Butterworms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Butterworms   Butterworms Empty

Back to top Go down