VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow

Go down 
+3
mamasmarco
BlackboxStar
Don
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Don

Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow Empty
PostSubject: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Anyone know if it's true that pit viper musk smells like cantaloupe?

I guess that would explain why the common name for American Cantaloupe is Muskmelon.
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 pm

these snakes are pretty. I used to be a commercial diver and we had this job at the draw bridge in Elizabeth City a few years ago. Everytime we headed underneath the bridge we saw them laying out in the sun on the riverside fenders. They get impressively big though.. big enough to have lots of respect for them..
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ChuckHurd

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Copperheads have the more distinctive Oder…cottonmouths just stink, period…don’t smell like anything other than cottonmouth. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 am

Funny Don, my VP was over at Back Bay today to organize a herp survey for this spring and he told me he had to move a Cottonmouth that was basking (at the end of January) from the path. Smile Methinks this will be a good field herpin' year. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Silvia Hurd

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Ahhh, Poison and Venom, subject I'm passionate about. Funny thing I like to say, poisonous mushrooms don't have fangs!!! Facepalm Razz
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm

BlackboxStar wrote:
Anyone know if it's true that pit viper musk smells like cantaloupe?

I guess that would explain why the common name for American Cantaloupe is Muskmelon.

I've never put these two together. But I will tell you what IS a very unique and stinky snake... NERODIA (water snakes).... ugh....
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Silvia Hurd

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

leftoflarry wrote:
I will tell you what IS a very unique and stinky snake... NERODIA (water snakes).... ugh....

Agreed, they win! I actually kind of like the odor of cottonmouths, never bothered me really... Whenever I clean their cage it's not a big deal, it can be a strong smell but not that bad... What really stinks way more is water snakes and garter snakes!! Yuck...
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 pm

To us field guys (and gals) snake musk is the sweet smell of success!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow   Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow Empty

Back to top Go down

Cottonmouth sunning before the last snow
Page 1 of 1