VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Money Transactions with PayPal ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
acl2790
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
acl2790

Money Transactions with PayPal ?? Empty
PostSubject: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm in the process of selling my first ball python to someone in Florida and was wondering how some of the other members on here use PayPal.

For example, I understand that you can avoid the PayPal fees by having the buyer select the Personal Tab and "payment owed" option. But, if the buyer does this, you (as the seller) lose "seller protection" which means the buyer could receive the animal, file a claim, and then get all of his money back, while keeping the animal.

I've heard of sellers getting screwed with PayPal transactions and I'm a little wary since this will be my first transaction as a seller. Does anyone have any advice for using PayPal and which is the best payment method?

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 pm

I just have the seller send payment as usual and eat the fee, or try to include it in the price before the sale. It's the only way to get any amount of protection as far as I know.

Make sure to only send it to the address associated with the account. If the seller claims you never sent anything, all you'll have is a tracking number to an address that's not theirs.

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Also, my PayPal app does something I haven't noticed on the actual site. It gives me an option to send money to "family or friends" for free if I use my bank account to send a payment. I would use this feature for those I trust because it offers me, the buyer, no protection. This is different from the gift option from what I can tell.

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm

I agree with the Nick... btw Nick there's an option on the paypal site where you could gift money or mark it as payment owed and it doesn't take the fee that either...
Back to top Go down
acl2790
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
acl2790

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info guys. PayPal can be tricky, and there are definitely some scammers out there.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I've used Paypal for both buying and selling. I do not gift the money. Yes, it saves the fees but what I'm transferring is not a gift. It is for a purchase and the seller should expect to pay that fee. I've paid fees for paypal and credit cards. It sucks that you have to pay them, but there is some minimal amount of protection when using those payment methods. If you do it, make sure it with a very trusted person.

I imagine that Paypal could even come back with some type of repercussions if they discovered you bypassed their fee. I did have one transaction where I bought a snake from someone, who I did not know other than by reputation. We agreed on a price, I told him I would pay with Paypal before the final price was negotiated. When I paypal'ed the money, he was upset I didn't gift it. Never in his negotiations did he say it would be an issue. That is the last purchase from that person I will do because in addition, he used regular hand warmers, instead of reptile heat packs and shipped in a very small box.

Before doing any transaction on line, I would check the person on BOI or as many resources as I can. There are a lot of people out there trying to make a quick buck and that is not the way to make money with reptiles. Those cut corners can wipe out a collection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Don wrote:
I've used Paypal for both buying and selling. I do not gift the money. Yes, it saves the fees but what I'm transferring is not a gift. It is for a purchase and the seller should expect to pay that fee. I've paid fees for paypal and credit cards. It sucks that you have to pay them, but there is some minimal amount of protection when using those payment methods. If you do it, make sure it with a very trusted person.

I imagine that Paypal could even come back with some type of repercussions if they discovered you bypassed their fee. I did have one transaction where I bought a snake from someone, who I did not know other than by reputation. We agreed on a price, I told him I would pay with Paypal before the final price was negotiated. When I paypal'ed the money, he was upset I didn't gift it. Never in his negotiations did he say it would be an issue. That is the last purchase from that person I will do because in addition, he used regular hand warmers, instead of reptile heat packs and shipped in a very small box.

Before doing any transaction on line, I would check the person on BOI or as many resources as I can. There are a lot of people out there trying to make a quick buck and that is not the way to make money with reptiles. Those cut corners can wipe out a collection.

Well said Don... And yes they might come back with a repercussion But I only gift the money when it's someone that need's the money ( not a sale of anything just a little friendly help ) or I use the payment owned option when I owe money on a previously bought item otherwise I do agree 110% use the way where it take's the fee it's the best way to go especially when you want to protect your money or have any claim to getting your money back if a deal indeed does go sour...

Back to top Go down
acl2790
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
acl2790

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks Don. This is just another example of why I love this forum: so much wisdom and experience on here that other members are willing to share!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money Transactions with PayPal ??   Money Transactions with PayPal ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Money Transactions with PayPal ??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion :: Business Discussion-
Jump to: