VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Baby leopard geckos won't eat...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Baby leopard geckos won't eat... Empty
PostSubject: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

They have not eaten the worms we have offered at night for 4 days. I even got a smaller tray so they were more visible. I'm lost at what else to do. I know they've got to be hungry! Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm

When did you get them? Did you produce them or just buy them as hatchlings? How old are they? what type of worms are you offering them to eat?

Typically young geckos aren't going to be as attracted to worms as they would be to crickets that are jumping all over the place or roaches that are running everywhere. 4 days isn't that long and they will be fine. If you just got them make sure you have all your basic care needs for them down pat. Then make sure you do not handle them at all for at least two weeks so that they can acclimate correctly. It is not uncommon for new additions who were just purchased and put into a new "home"' to not eat for a week or two. They have to acclimate and get used to things. They will not die from not eating this short time. Just make sure you offer them good gut loaded and calcium/vitamin dusted insects. Also make sure you do not leave them in their enclosures as this will stress out the little ones.
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:24 pm

They were purchased. They definetly enjoyed the crickets more! Thanks for the advice
!
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Oh- and I was offering small me worms and Phoenix worms
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:36 pm

At a young age, they will be more attracted to the things that move the most. If you want to start them on worms, I would offer them with tweezers or hemostats so that the worm moves more in their face. Maybe give that a shot. Just don't forget to gut-load the crickets or feeders a good 24hrs + before feeding and dust the feeders with a good calcium/vitamin supplement once a week at the very least.

Glad I could help you out! Let us know if you have any more issues!
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 7:22 pm

okay time to utilize your knowledge again1 Smile soo..the weather is getting cooler, and i currently use a 75 watt red light bulb and i put slate rocks directly under the light for a warm surface for digestion. Its a little chilly in there though, so im considering getting UTH too..but the one i have for one tank will not stick nor does it make a difference (zilla 10-20 gallon 4 watt). Should i just upgrade to a 100 watt for the winter, or figure something else out?? ive read both opinions which is why im a little lost at what to do, and seeing as they can be pricey id rather only pay once for what i need.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 am

what size aquarium do you have? how many are you housing in the aquarium?

I personally would not put slate down directly under the heat lamp because it is basically doing the same thing as a heat rock does and it can injure the gecko by burning them if they don't get off in time. Again, I know people do it, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Please give me more info on your setup and I will try and help you out.
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 am

Sorry didnt realize you responded. We have 3 20L tanks. One with 3 hatchlings, one with 2 adults, and one with a juvie in it. Currently have a 75 w red light on each tank. Also, the rocks are not real slate i dont think..its like a cheaper version i guess because they dont get THAT hot. But i do agree with you there! i'd really preffer not to use UTH they scare me for some reason ha. Do you think i should go up to 100w when it gets chillier?

UPDATE on the baby not eating: He/she is still not eating has NO interest in crickets, and he also has hardly to no fat left in his tail! The other two eating fine at this point. He is very easy to handle and seems to enjoy it. I have tried to hold hi and offer him a squirming cricket or worm but he just closes his eyes and squirms. I've only been able to get him to eat two tiny crickets and itwas only because he opened his mouth and i put one in. Once its in his mouth he'll eat it. Should i get a dropper and make something to drip on his nose to lick off until hes back to weight?
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 9:54 pm

The baby gecko finally ate. I have him one sitting of the repta aid and tonight he ate like he never has before! He also licked up some calcium. I'm thinking he was dehydrated. Either way I'm glad he's eating now!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am

Yay cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Dehydration is one key thing that causes death with all reptiles. It is a silent killer and a lot of people fail to realize that even though their reptile may be a "desert" dwelling species or more arid species, they still need to be given water frequently and sprayed down. Monitors are huge for dying from dehydration because their keepers do not know how to properly care for them. They are very difficult to care for properly, it is not as easy as pet stores and all try to tell you.

Needless to say, I am glad it ate for you!! Also glad I could help you from the start. Sorry I never got back to you on your last post. Just make sure you don't handle it much and make sure it is well established before you start doing to much with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby leopard geckos won't eat...   Baby leopard geckos won't eat... Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby leopard geckos won't eat...
Page 1 of 1